NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - An annual "Merry Christmas" sign on a North Andover fire station has been ordered removed.

Town officials told firefighters last week to take down the homemade sign after they said people complained.

Fire Chief William Martineau said Monday that the sign was made by firefighters about 50 years ago and never had been an issue before.

The order comes a week after selectmen voted to allow a menorah display on the town common for only one day instead of all eight days of Hanukkah. They said a new town common policy only allows displays to stay up for one day, no matter what they are.

Town Manager Mark Rees said the town's public buildings should not be displaying things specific to a particular religion.

___

Information from: Eagle Tribune, http://www.eagletribune.com

Related
Bah! Humbug!: Town outlaws Merry Christmas sign

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Views: 2134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gonz:
I knew you would be.
In fact; correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't your profile photo here taken in front of where the Cold Storage warehouse once stood?
I remember seeing a group photo some years ago.
Am I right?
And let the brothers in Worcester know that there's a bunch of old jakes thinking about them today.
TCSS.
Art
Thanks, WT.
Now; will everyone who has posted in this discussion please go to the news section and post a little something for the brothers in Worcester?
Please.
Thanks.
Art
oh please, grow up! oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !
Besides being total BS, Freedom of religion not only allows everyone the right to believe what they wish, it also gives them the right to practice!.
If this was my fire dept, we would leave the sign up irregardless of what the "elite" say.......Grow a set of balls guys and stand up for your rights!!!!!!!!!!!!
this is a direct attack of our first amendment right that soidiers fought and died to keep and if we take it lying down then we deserve what we get and that the brave men and women that are fighting and have fought for are in vain. Exspecailly Christian Americans that just sit back and don't respond then come what may. I say ........
MERRY CHRISTMAS what happened to just saying it like days of old when people weren't affraid. We call Halloween, New Years, Valentines day, st patircks day no problem with them why christmas? STAND UP PEOPLE
There was just an NBC poll asking if we should keep God in the Pledge of Allegiance and IN "GOD" WE TRUST on our bills. There was a HUGE response. 86% were for keeping GOD. 14% were against. And we cater to the 14% because?????
The Merry Christmas issue is anothe example of the majority catering....
Wow Jeff! Now tell us how you really feel!
This story even made the news here is southwest Virginia, People down here think it is pretty sad that these firefighters are being told to take down their sign. What about their rights? Maybe they should post the address of the town hall and we could all send these lawmakers a Christmas card. All I can say is MERRY CHRISTMAS to these North Andover firefighters, and I hope that they remember these selectmen come election time.
I also say BULL CRAP!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!
AMEN!
Since about 80% of this country consider themselves Christians, I'm pretty confident those lawmakers would appreciate a Christmas card Anita. I don't understand why you people can't see that this wasn't a personal issue with the lawmakers. Why do you assume because the lawmakers made that decision that they are anti-Christian, anti-American, anti-whatever? You can't promote a particular religion on public property - it is as simple as that. There is no conspiracy here people. I keep telling myself to not post to this thead anymore but I just can't help it when I read these kind of comments. I'm going to have to just delete myself from the comment notification for this thread to avoid the temptation. I am just baffled at the lack of understanding on this issue
For those of you who didn't hear...the town council has since changed their mind and is allowing the sign.

http://www.firefighternation.com/forum/topics/massachusetts-fire-de...

Re-post from the new story's message board:

Well that's good. Sensitive people need to get it through their heads that a decoration does NOT compel them to follow a religion, and if they get offended, that's their problem. On a related note, on the last day of Ramadan, I'm hanging a sign that says "There is but one God, Allah, and Mohammed is his prophet." from the front of city hall. I would like to thank the city council for supporting me on this, and the citizens for the tax money used to hang and illuminate the sign.

BTW my idiot brother would like to install a Festivus Pole. Now that we allow religious displays, I guess he gets to do that. I can't wait until the Wiccians want to put up a pentagram. Fortunately, I will "get over" my offence at such an overt display of what I consider blasphemous on public property using public funds.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service