I am wanting to start using LDH in our dept. and am wondering if I can convince the majority into changing their thought process. Let me add that we are in a rural area, and no departments that might provide aid uses LDH. Should we make the switch?

Views: 2189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We are a rural department and we run 3 inch and 4 inch and love it. less hose to put on the ground, easy to clean. some of our mutual aid runs 5 inch hose. when you use the ldh you need to make sure that you have the water supply or a good tanker shuttle. we have not run into any problems using the ldh. not to easy to reload when you have short manpower during the day.
You can supply 5 inch from draft, too.
The pumper doesn't need to work nearly as hard pumping LDH, because it takes a lot less RPMs to flow the needed volume through the larger diameter hose.
yes, without question. There is no replacement for moving large amounts of water with minimal friction loss. Have your members read the NIOSH report from Charleston FD and the Sofa Warehouse Fire of 2007 that killed so many of their members. Before the investigation, they did not carry LDH, but after the LODD's and the NIOSH investigations, now every apparatus carries LDH. It is also a NFPA standard. Forget about effectiveness on the fireground, let's just talk abour your own safety and the safety of your guys. Tell your guys that this is 2009 and we all have to make whatever changes we can to be safe and effective. It is no longer a theory, it is a proven fact that LDH is a requirement for the Fireground.
We carry 1800 feet of 5" on our first due Engine Company. It's like bringing a 5 inch water main to the Fire Scene. Great flow rates with little to no Friciton loss. We also carry a 25' and a 50' sections for making close hydrant connections. As long as your Pumps can support LDH, I would make the switch. You can get any appliance to "adapt" to other FD's hoses or Pumps. Also, let me add.......I love laying it, hate packing it!!!!LOL
My department uses 5" ldh for water supply. We are a 100% hydranted district. We lay upwards of 1500 feet in some situations and it supplies us all the water we need. When we made the conversion we were the only departmetn in our town to have it and bought a couple of 5" to multipule 2 1/2" connections to use as distribution devices for our mutual aid companies, when they seen how well ldh worked everyone made the switch. I do know of rural departments in the state that do use ldh to move water, it takes a plan and practice.
Our dept. has been using ldh since the early 80's. We carry approx. 4500' on 4 rigs and our other twp. department carries at least 3000'. It has little friction loss. The only down fall is repacking all that hose but I'd rather have the supply vs the inconveince.
do you remember what dept. Im from lancaster pa
Actually, it's around 106 gallons per 100 feet of 5 inch hose.

The advantage is that the friction loss coefficient is 0.08 for 5 inch compared to a coefficient of 2 for 2.5 inch.
Dear Chief,
Although I am in a city department, I have over 25 years experince in the service. I have to tell you that LDH in 100' sections are the way to go for your main water supply. If you have the volume, 4 inch LDH is perfect for almost every situation. Aso, the suggestions below concerning the "short shots" of 25' and 50' are also great to keep in the operator's panel for both hydrant uses and quick connection addtions use. Using LDH is no different than having the water main right where you want it above ground.
Good luck in your quest, and also remember that you can sell off most of your smaller supply lines to help defray the net costs of the new LDH.
Any preference for the jacketed vs. monolithic construction?
I would highly recommend switching to LDH. LDH is the best way to move large amounts of water efficiently w/ less friction loss. We do not use 5" LDH, we use 4" LDH instead and we also use the 100' stretches. We also carry short 25-50' sections for hydrant use. Our pumpers carry 1000' of LDH and our Truck carries 800' of LDH. We are in a very well hydranted area but there have been some pretty long lays at some of the commercials and industrial boxes. Also we have acquired a new well to do district with some monster houses that really sit off and away from the street. Saying all of that to say, LDH works for us.
We still use 3" hose for our supply lines in the city and I love it. Rare that it doesn't get the job done and it's so much easier to use, maneuver and clean up.

Can be seen in the two middle hose beds. Connects down to our hydrant valve.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spidere/2907243481/in/pool-642957@N21/

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service