check out my Females in the Fire service Group. I am not man bashing at all. I am just stating that i believe women that can do the job deserve equality!!! I do understand that there are women out there that cant...'cuz I have them on my department TOO, however those are the ones that give chics like me who love to get dirty and get hot ( in a fire the that is) a bad name. Tell me your thoughts.

Views: 1035

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, my buddies camera phone.I just opened a beer and it blew up on my shirt.He was just trying to get a picture of me drinking a Miller.To him, getting me to drink Miller instead of Bud or Busch was picture worthy.The mess I made was just an added bonus.
huh what are you talkn about
ya thats for sure in just a complimentary way
lol i think we should just all have a male vs female firefighter challange for everyone and i am pretty sure that there would be atleast one female in the top 10 in the world

That was a compliment
Hah... "broad" statement... that's funny!!
lol... he just doesn't get you like I do!!! hahaha! ;)
Julie,

I would be proud to have you as a member of our ladies auxillary!
I've worked hard to get were I am as well but face facts I will never be equal to a man. Not saying women are less than nor that men are less than. Women are different from men period. We are built differently physically, mentally,and emotionally. Thats actually a good thing. Woman have their place in the fire service. There are plenty of tasks that we can do very well. I don't feel the problem is a fight for equality but for acceptance.

Men and women need to accept that women are part of the team.
Hey Holly. I hope you aren't saying that women should be expected to work in a limited capacity. I do everything that the job requires. Of course my personal life and my wardrobe seem to suffer because broad shoulders and a thick back are hard to outfit (and apparently scary.. haha)! I would rather suffer there than on the job. I am on the hoseline, forced entry, ventilation, search, RIT, driver, tech rescue, light stuff, heavy stuff, small space, high space... it doesn't matter. I don't think there is a place on the job for anyone in a limited capacity.
That being said, there are men on my job who are smaller than I, and they also know the feeling to have to prove themselves over and over again. I was shocked to hear one of them actually say, "I'm 5'6, that is why I am at the gym every day working harder than everyone else, my co-workers are giants!" Great point!

As far as being accepted as opposed to being equal... I would like both, but you're right, it's a long way from happening. Many women may not see it, refuse to see it or are oblivious, but simply by being a woman in the Fire Service, they have either been disrespected, discriminated against or simply just not wanted (clearly not by all there are many incredible men in the fire service who "get it"). None of us is immune. You could be a super giant firefighter and there will still be pre-conceived notions.

My advice to any woman coming in to the fire service or in the fire service. Affect change, make mistakes, be present in your career and DO WORK!! Oh wait... that goes for anyone!!
This will be my last post in this thread before I hit the "stop following" button.
The discussion as it always does has run its course. Women AND men who prove that they can do the job should.
They should be treated the same, but are not.
But, look at what we do. We separate by gender or race and that doesn't speak well to the goal of equality and same treatement for everyone.
Here is a recent example: http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/article_f81c23f6-9907-11de-aa96-0...
now now what we got going on
I have been on 2 different dept in my career as a volunteer 1st one didnt have any women the 2nd has 3 and a 4th getting ready to start fire school. Of the women that has been on for awhile I trust 2 of them as a partner the 3rd has been on for about 2yrs now and is still learning. If we are inside and something goes wrong could they drag there partner out maybe. Could they all call for help and get it if needed yes. We all put our lives in each others hands on the scene weither it be a male or female there is always a job to do for all. And for the record the one starting fire school is my stepdaughter and at 110 lbs I know she couldnt drag me out as i weigh 280 but she could still call for help.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service