Hey all,

I recently bought a Blue/White STL Dual Pro and put it in my car. Last week I heard something about white isn't to be used in the front, thinking it was only red not allowed in the front for a volunteer POV. I was wondering what the new set of laws were because apparently everyone keeps being told different things.

Do we have a 360 degree visibility law? What colors may be used up front? I've looked online but I haven't found any specifics. I have heard something about a 360 degree law but most guys on my dept have an interior bar, dash laser or something of the sort. Everywhere else I go, I rarely see any volunteer with a mini-bar or any type of bar on top, tons of interior bars.

Trying to gather more information for myself and other members.

Sorry for yet another POV post, but in all that I've read I have found contradicting answers.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Views: 2551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm going to agree with you on the rural areas "respond direct to the station" bit.  I live in town, so the only way I would not ride to the scene on one of the BRT's is if I'm a couple minutes late responding and all the trucks have rolled - we've been told "grab your gear, throw it in your truck, and head out"

BUT, when I took my Essentials of Firefighting class (basically FF1 wrapped into one weekend, only hitting the high notes, and obviously no certification granted, just geared towards us rookies that may not be in a FF1 class yet, just to get us SOME knowledge), about 1/4 to 1/3 of the class carried all of their bunker gear in the trunk of their cars, because their department was spread out enough the first couple guys to the station drove the trucks out, and everyone else responded directly to the scene.  There's more than one department in our area that has an old school bus they keep all of their gear on; first guys drive an engine out, and then someone drives the bus, everyone gears up on-scene.  Glad that's not the case with my department.

Wow, never have I ever heard of something like that. Kind of cool and interesting but I'm glad we don't do it on our dept. either. All but 2(myself included) of our guys who normall show up carry our turnouts in our vehicles. I don't really need to, living about 45 driving seconds away from the dept., but it seems that the only times we get runs that need the turnouts are when I'm a decent distance away from the station. Not to mention the fact I always try to get to the station to roll in w/e rig would be needed. Yesterday was the first day I missed getting to the station in time, like I said, only because he had the rescue rolling within 45 seconds of the tones dropping.

That bus thing is an interesting concept and I know a dept. who should do something similar since for some reason their guys don't think carrying their gear with them is a decent idea.

I personally don't like the bus idea, for the simple fact that a response is kind of organized chaos - they start heading towards the station, until they hear the radio call that the trucks and equipment bus are en route, then they head to the scene.  And I really don't like the idea of hauling my gear in my personal vehicle on a regular basis; our instructor for EoF pointed out that during FF operations - including overhaul - our gear absorbs a lot of the harmful gasses in the air, and then will offgas them over the next day or two given sufficient air circulation.  Keeping your bunker gear in the trunk, not only does it not get airflow, but anything that DOES offgas, goes into your car.  Myself, I have two different vehicles, one a fuel-efficient daily driver, the other a 4wd truck.  I would HATE having to switch gear around based on what vehicle I'm driving that day, especially when the decision is sometimes made when I step out the door in the morning (winter storm days - I have a 30 mile one-way drive to work on rural roads.  4wd is a MUST)

i love this discussion because here in florida its basically left alone until some LEO needs to go on jihad against some VFD

but the purpose of my post is to cite your dedication to the fire service and say dont loose interest.

remember its amout the people you serve, not the lights on the POV (which i know is the good part)

the best advice i have seen anybody give you is read up on the law in your state, ask a cop or check  with your lawmakers office

(Is it a jihad, or is it a holy crusade.  I always get those two mixed up.)

L... O.... L....

Currently my gear is relatively new and has yet to be fully put through anything rigorous where it could pick up anything like that. That being said, I still tend to drive with a window cracked, or open all the way since it's warm, just about any time I drive. I wish I had 2 vehicles, but don't have the money to pay for them. Job hunting is a b*tch these days.

LOL indeed but i have heard some (and been in) some interesting siutations in my time

my favorite was being tagged by a cop while i was a vollie on long island NY for having a mirror assembly on my dash light. NYS law states that i can have only one blue light. the cop tagged me saying that the mirror assembly constituted more than 1 light. i fought it an beat it but it was fun getting tagged for it

Jack: aint you supposoed to be at FDIC?

That's ridiculous considering it comes down to the source. If you lost that, there is something wrong there. Very very wrong. I know there's a cop in my area that's been trying to get some guys for not having a 360 degree visual display, but I have searched up and down and haven't found any law/by-law that says we must have a 360 light. Kind of why I started this discussion, I've heard so many yays and nays about everything.

you are correct here is the Indiana blue light law look it up and if members keep having problems with the police about it give them a copy to take to traffic court there has only been a handful of times that i know of where a volunteer has been ticket for not following the blue light law in Indiana and it is usually for improper display or use

IC 36-8-12-11
Blue lights on private vehicles; authorization; violations

Sec. 11. (a) Members of volunteer fire departments may display blue lights on their privately owned vehicles while en route to scenes of emergencies or to the fire station in the line of duty subject to the following conditions:
        (1) A light must have a light source of at least thirty-five (35) watts.
        (2) All lights must be placed on the:
            (A) top of the vehicle;
            (B) dashboard inside a vehicle, shielded to prevent distracting the driver; or
            (C) front of the vehicle upon the bumper or at bumper level.
        (3) No more than four (4) blue light assemblies may be displayed on one (1) vehicle, and each blue light assembly must be of the flashing or revolving type.
        (4) A blue light assembly may contain multiple bulbs.
        (5) A blue light may not be a part of the regular head lamps displayed on the vehicles. Alternately flashing head lamps may be used as a supplemental warning device. Strobe lights or flashers may be installed into the light fixtures on the vehicle other than the alternating head lamps. The strobe lights or flashers may be either white or blue, with the exception of red to the rear.
    (b) In order for a volunteer firefighter to display a blue light on a vehicle, the volunteer firefighter must secure a written permit from the chief of the volunteer fire department to use the blue light and must carry the permit at all times when the blue light is displayed.
    (c) A person who is not a member of a volunteer fire department may not display an illuminated blue light on a vehicle.
    (d) A permittee of the owner of a vehicle lawfully equipped with a blue light may operate the vehicle only if the blue light is not illuminated.
    (e) A person who violates subsection (a), (b), (c), or (d) commits a Class C infraction. If the violator is a member of a volunteer fire department, the chief of the department shall discipline the violator under fire department rules and regulations.
    (f) This section does not grant a vehicle displaying blue lights the right-of-way under IC 9-21-8-35 or exemption from traffic rules under IC 9-21-1-8. A driver of a vehicle displaying a blue light shall obey all traffic rules.
    (g) This section shall not be construed to include a vehicle displaying a blue light and driven by a member of a volunteer fire department as an authorized emergency vehicle (as defined in IC 9-13-2-6).
As added by Acts 1981, P.L.309, SEC.64. Amended by P.L.88-1990, SEC.4; P.L.2-1991, SEC.108; P.L.99-1991, SEC.4; P.L.1-1999, SEC.96; P.L.6-2001, SEC.1; P.L.153-2002, SEC.2.

Exactly, this is all I have found, yet I still hear rumblings of 360 and no white on light displays other than hide-a-ways. Just sort of confusing. Thanks for the support.

just talk to a couple people since i posted this the 360 rule has not been in effect for at least 5 years that they know of someone probably needs to upgrade their code book not sure what part of the state you are from but it might be that small town cop mentality that is still prevailing through out this state your best bet is to go to the IVFA website if there is one thing they are good for is keeping up to date on the laws pertaining to blue lights

Reply to Discussion

RSS

FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2020   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service