If you could work at any fire department in the country, where would it be ?

I have not seen this on here so lets try a new discussion. I started late in the field but if I could , I would love to be in the Denver area . Maybe Westminster or Thornton fire depatments would be good since I grew up there . I knew allot of the Westminster f.f. 's while I was young as a friends dad was on the dept . They always had a great dept. Where would you be and why?

Views: 1560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i would stay with the the one i'm on. i know everyone and we all are a big family. we get in trouble get our butts chewed and go on with our lifes. i been with the depatment i'm on for 13 years. started out as a rookie then firefighter to driver and now a station officer. i'm a Lt. for the station i'm on. i'm doing capt. and Lt. job duties because we have no capt. so hope my next step is capt. of the station. just have to wait and see. so i would have to stay with the dept. i'm on.
I like my Department, I think it would be a good experience to work with Wildland Firefighting in Oregon or Cali for a season, but think that my first loyalty will be to the SBFD and my community.
While I would have hated to compete with lateral transfers for a promotion, I would very much like the ability lateral transfer somewhere else. I'd pick some place nice to live, decent salary, not too hot. Not too urban, not too rural. Pacific Northwest? New England? Rocky Mountains?
Lateral transfers aren't practical everywhere though. I already had fire training and experience before landing my current job in Washington, DC. The training I had before was up to par with what I needed in DC. In DC we now have a 36 week rookie school that's 8 hours/day for 5 days/week. We also learn to do things the way that they will be performed on the streets of DC whereas colleges have to teach the "book" way since they don't know where you will end up. So a lateral transfer just wouldn't work since they want to train you fresh and the "DC" way. Same with most larger cities.
Why Kentland? Just curious.
FDNY

Any department where 343 members unhesitatingly gave up their lives to save others on 9-11 including the Chief of Department, multiple other Chiefs and their Chief Chaplain, is my type of department.
Clark County Fire Rescue, Nevada

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service