Houston Councilwoman Criticized Over Firehouse Visit; Implied Firefighters Were Lazy

ANITA HASSAN and ZAIN SHAUK
Houston Chronicle
Reprinted with Permission

In her latest run-in with Houston firefighters, Councilwoman Jolanda Jones drew a flurry of criticism over the weekend after she allegedly used obscene language and suggested that firefighters were lazy during a fire station visit on Friday.

Jeff Caynon, president of the Houston Professional Fire Fighters Association, said Jones made offensive remarks to firefighters while visiting Station 8 downtown Friday. Caynon was told Jones also commented on the facility, suggesting that it was too nice.

Jones did not respond to repeated requests for comment, but a spokesman said the allegations were false, although he did not comment on whether profanity was used at all during the firehouse exchange.

'Cultural Bias' Alleged
Jones, who is serving her second term on the council, has previously been critical of the Houston Fire Department for an alleged culture of racism and sexism. She blasted the department after two female firefighters in 2009 found racist and sexist graffiti scrawled in their quarters at an airport fire station. She has also argued the department had a "cultural bias" that makes the workplace difficult for firefighters.

Caynon, who is African-American, previously clashed with Jones for allegedly calling him a "house Negro" during a discussion about discrimination within the fire department.

"I understand there was a lot of profanity," he said, adding that firefighters were offended that she was not civil with her language and showed little respect for their work.

"The substance of what she said was, 'You guys don't work. You just come in and sit down on your recliners and watch TV all day,' and that's not the case," Caynon said.

Caynon has asked Fire Chief Terry Garrison to order an investigation into Jones' statements.

"This is an obvious misunderstanding," Jones said in a statement released late Saturday. "I accompanied various people on my staff to several city facilities to familiarize them with the services we provide — so that we can do a better job of serving the public."
Jones says she' 'baffled'

Keith Wade, a consultant for the councilwoman, said the visit was part of a "team building" exercise for her staff. Jones did not notify the station of her visit because her group's assignment during that portion of the exercise was to visit "a fire station" using public transportation.

Jones, in her statement, did not directly address the allegation that she had used profanity during her visit and declined to respond to questions about her conduct. She said she was confused by the accounts of her visit.

"I'm particularly baffled, since at Fire Station 8, we asked what we could do to help," she said in the statement.

Houston Fire Department spokesman Pat Trahan said Garrison wanted to reserve comment until he has more information.

Councilman James Rodriguez, whose district includes Station 8, said Saturday he has asked Mayor Annise Parker to look into the issue.

Councilwoman Anne Clutterbuck said allegations about Jones' most recent conduct at a fire station are a cause for concern

Related
Jones Clashes With Firefighters Again

Views: 507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shoulda never let the broad councilwoman past the watch desk.
If politicans start running the fire service, the results will the same C/F as our war efforts! Don't you know all fireman are racist, drunks, lower level sum...that is of coarse, until your house catch"s on fire, or a family member gets sick.....I'll bet the fire fighters are more qualified for their jobs, than she is for hers!
I would just like to tell this woman to stay at home and bake a cake .If the govt would stay out
of the fire hall & police station maybe we could get our work done . And instead of giving themselves
a fat raise, maybe , just maybe we could use some new hose , a new truck or something . What
should have happened was the crew should have the hose ready and blow her out of the building.

Take care.
maybe she needs to spend a lil time as a volunteer firefighter and then tell us what she thinks after she has made entry into a burning house or ran a charged two and a half. or maybe drag a charged hose while wearing a SCBA and fighting a fire let her do that at two a.m. and do overhaul a couple times then ask her for her opinion. probably will have a difference of opinion!
well said i like every word of this comment!
i love how politicians can vote themselves a pay raise in Illinois the state congress has voted themselves raises every year and now the state is in a financial crisis and they wanna raise taxes. I think they need to take a pay cut like the tax payers.
Wooops, I called out the wrong councilperson.

It's THIS goob that needs to feel the heat.
Councilwoman Jolanda Jones
Now you see what happens when you print articles like this. I have three new holes in my walls my wife did not want. Oh well, we'll still put out her house when she burns it down.
Quick! Everyone pile on the councilwoman!
The politicians just do not understand what we go through, and always look to us to make their first cuts. That's why I am glad I volunteer in a small community of only 350, we have 50 members, so all the politicians in my town now someone or they are a firefighter. This makes it easy to not have budget cuts. And in fact I think we have a nice Dept, because our community cares. But when you get someone like this, it easily cuts and effects the fire service as a whole.
Wait till her house catches on fire!!!
What a beach.....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service