Any other juniors taking/took it?
I'm just starting mine this month.
Any idea what i can expect?
What types of things do they ask?
And what are the requirements to get your cert. I know its probably different by state.
but still, a general idea would be nice.

Views: 436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HAZMAT AWARENESS IS SIMPLE. VERY BASIC INFORMATION AND THERE ISNT A WHOLE LOT TO IT. I AM HAZMAT OPS LEVEL AND WORKING ON MY TECH LEVEL THATS WHEN THINGS START GETTING TOUGH. ONCE YOUR AT THIS LEVEL THEY TEACH YOU TO START DEALING WITH THE CRAP. AT YOUR AWARNESS LEVEL YOU JUST NEED TO IDENTIFY IT AND STAY THE HELL AWAY. LOL . GOOD LUCK.
Awareness is very simple... They just teach you basic stuff that you woud need to know. Make sure you listen to the instructor and STUDY!!!
Brandon

You don't have to be good at math or science. It is a very basic class that lets you know what to look for at a Hazardous Materials "scene"... Mostly all the administrative info about 'codes' etc, then alot of Recognition and Clues and what to look for kinda stuff. There will of course be some acronyms...But it is a very simple basic class. just pay attention and youll do fine!
and as with EVERYTHING

Safety First Last ALWAYS!
Thanks Jake. Really eased my mind,
I take the class online, Starting this Friday.
Did you know that typing a post with all capitals is considered "yelling" on the internet? Just a thought... : ) CB

Brandon, While I'm not familiar with the exact course that you are taking, I thought I'd give you a heads up as to what to expect and what you need to memorize. I say this as one of the original authors and course developers for the California State Hazmat Techinician program in the 80's.

1. What is a hazardous material. (solid, liquid, gas)
2. What kinds of hazardous materials are out there? E, G, FL, FS, O, P, R, C (hazard classes)
3. What types of containers are out there that store hazardous materials? (drums, carboys, tankers, cylinders...)
4. If hazmat stuff gets out of the box, how do they behave and how do you mitigate the incident?
5. What's the difference between a FRA and FRO?
6. If hazmat stuff gets on you or someone else, how do you decontaminate them without getting exposed yourself?
7. What kind of warning placards are out there, i.e. NFPA 704 Hazard Diamond, DOT Placards (see #2)
8. When you arrive on scene at a hazmat incident, how do you organize yourself to deal with it?
- Sizeup
- Command
- Assistance
- Rescue
- Isolate
- Evacuate
- Person responsible (liaison)
- Material ID
- Always be Safe!

This is basically what will be covered and should give you some insight as to what to expect.

Best of luck and remember, what you learn now can save yours and others lives down the road. Train as if your life depends on it... because it does.

Stay safe,

CB
hazmat awareness is just your first step.no worries just b sure 2 pay close attention.
im a hazmat tech for 5 yrs now and i enjoy it but always remember bro your saftey comes first .
hit me back .....black rob speakin by the way!
Thanks guys, i just finished my first exam and got a 84% on it.
Congratulations :-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service