24ft or 28ft two section, extension ladders. What's your choice and why?

Given that there are very minor dimential and weight differances between 24 and 28 foot two section ladders, is there a reason to have the 24ft as opposed to the 28ft? Regardless of having them on engines or trucks, is there still a reason to go with the 24ft extension ladder?

Being a truck guy, I thought this would be an interesting discussion to start. As an FYI, I'm a big fan of the 28.

Let's hear what you have say.

Views: 508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would presume its a matter of preference. Speaking of paradigms.
The primary consideration might be price. It appears that after you add the first fly, the price runs somewhere between $50-$100 per foot. So the difference between a 24' and a 28' would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $200-$400 per unit. So if you're purchasing for a dozen engines, the extra 4 feet may not be that important.

Just a thought,

TCSS
Considering the majority of our pumps have the ladders on the side, a 28 ft would stick out the back much further than the 24 ft. Those pumps that have inside ladder racks also wouldn't hold a 28 ft, we don't have a hydraulic ladder rack which would be nicer and easier to put a 28 ft on. Our trucks carry two 35 ft so no need for a 28 on those.

Given the buildings and construction in our city a 24 ft works just fine for the majority of operations we will use it for.
I think 24 ft. ladders on Engines work fine. However, I prefer 28ft. ladders on Ladder Companies. If it were up to me, there wouldn't be a 24 ft. ladder on a Truck, but that is just me. That extra 4 ft. can be very handy.
My first thought on looking at this thread was - personal preference for ladder length? Why? But then I read the replies. Points that would not have occured to me, but very interesting! Probably the fact that we don't have 'ladder trucks' here and that most of the houses in my area are single story makes me think diferently. Our pumper has three ladders, I'll always go for the shortest one that will do the job! The nice Little Giant works well for most jobs we have.
Well, where I live, most of the 2nd story windows are about 16 ft. off the ground. And an unextended 28 ft ladder is 16 ft. long. So for doing a rescue raise, a 28 ft. ladder is easy as hell-just throw it up to the window sill. In addition to having that extra 4 ft. to work with for going to roofs and windows of greater heights, not having to mess around with the halyard for a rescue raise is God's gift to every truckie. I'm a huge fan of the 28.
I go with the 24 cause thats what we got. Our engine is a 24 and a 12 roof, our truck company compliment is a 24, 35, 16, 20 so the 24 is what we have.

I would love a 28 added into the mix but we just do not have it.
How about this use 2 people to throw it and follow the book and do is "Safely" or be unsafe and do a one man throw
Man power is alwayse a issue. Sometimes your the one man/gal for the job. Its good to know how to throw a ladder by your self.
28 foot ladder is the way to go
I can't really say about the 24' & the 28'. I can say that in the building that we have the length that the 24' saves is a big help. We had an engine that was moved to a shorter bay, and moving the ladders up was not an option. We couldn't move it up more then we did otherwise it would interfere with the Pre-Connects. Beside the Ladder contains every other length that we may need.
Put two 35's and a 28' on our new Platform. The 28's just give you a little extra,in my opinion.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service