many new people have problems with claustrophobia while having there scba mask on.just get used to them.

Views: 12068

Replies to This Discussion

Wear it wear it wear. i personally do not have problems with this issue.
One thing we do for drill sometimes is mask up in a dark with nomex on backwards.
Confidence in your gear and your skills will eliminate this.

When we do the above mentioned drill we set up tables on their sides with prob doors and windows with extension cords simulating electrical lines and becoming tangled in them. Then we have to rescue dummies and other situations.
I have the same problem as Patience When I go to take the regulator out and end up taking that half breath there's that brief moment of "shit i can't breath".
I try to remember NOT to breathe then, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. At the moment I'm waiting to see how the air packs and masks we're getting the first of the year work. I'm hoping the transition won't be too interesting. I would hate to have more problems with the new gear than I do with the old stuff. I got to participate in the selection testing this summer, so I don't think it'll be too bad. But still the issue of not being able to breathe while attaching and removing the regulator is probably still going to be an issue. Unless I manage to quit trying to breathe then. :) Remember, don't panic; it'll only make things worse.
I agree with some others. The more you wear it the better it is. I had some resurfacing ptsd issues from the military and with wearing a mask at home and just spending more and more time in it, it really helped out. Another way I found was just to take a deep breath and remind yourself that you are safe in it. Chances are if you are in a situation where you are needing it, its safer in it then not. I went through a confined space wire box with it on to add to the pressure and then the mask wasnt a deal to me at all. Once again, the more you wear it the better!
I hope someone can help me out I work as a Reserve FF with a local fire department I have been there for about 2 years total and never had any problems before with any of the training exercises until now. Recently developed claustrophobia when wearing the SCBA; this has never been an issue for me in the past. I used to explore old mines, caves and SCUBA dive when I was younger so I know what its like to be in very tight places with almost no light with no quick way out. When I went through the academy it was the first time I wore an SCBA and I had no problems and was able to perform all the tasks while on air. In the last two training events I was involved in I had a couple real bad claustrophobic attacks. The first time me and another guy were supposed to advance a handline into a building go up to the second floor and bring out our training dummy (185 lbs). My job was to pull 150 feet of 2 ½” and a hose bundle bring them to the door and connect the bundle, I was fine until I put the mask on and started breathing air, then it hit and I was unable to complete the exercise this was the first time anything like this happened and it scared me a little. The second time this happened my job was to pull 250 feet of 2 ½” short loop it and carry it to the door about 200 feet away advance the handline and bring out the dummy. I remembered what happened the last time and I was able to calm myself some, about halfway through I just couldn’t control it anymore and started to hyperventilate very bad I completed the exercise but it wasn’t pretty. As a result I have been pulled off all apparatus and I wont be aloud back on or respond to any calls until I can prove that I am over this problem. I even have a hard time watching someone on TV crawling through a cave witch never bothered me before. This is all very new to me and I’m not sure what to do, I would really hate for this to get in the way of becoming a full time firefighter and I fear I may be let go if this happens again.
And you have no idea as to what could have triggered this bad calls or the like?
I would say many people have feelings of claustrophobia using scba.... the best way to be as comfortable as you can, by wearing it as often possible and to be honest just masking up and sitting in a corner and trying to control your breathing and see how long you can make it last without exertion, then begin doing the stuff you do for fit testing then as you become confident try to improve your work load to eventually include climbing ladders ( at drill or approved sanctioned events) wearing and working with them in situations that are like when you'll be using them is going to help.. Lets face it there are times You can't see crap, so get over the claustrophobia because thats when it will become obvious... no one naturally works as a firefighter in 100% blind situations comfortably , learning to use your other senses is important, and keep in mind wearing hoods and all this extra protection blocks some of that sensory feedback, sometimes until its too late lots of training vids show training situations when guys are led in and the place flashes over and they are not even aware... often dragged out steaming and close to being burned.. MY 1st Fire was reported as a brush fire and was out on arrival that was 1976, MY 1st professional fire was a snotty basement fire within 38 minutes of My 1st shift, Walking in for my 1st day the LT had us at the Kitchen table he introduced us (2 Probies) to the other 8 guys and after lunch the day before they'd caught a job so when the talk alarm chimed in before we'd even gone over the rigs, I knew where MY SCBA was because the compartment was open and they were drying... I went with the LOO we searched the floors above the fire kitchen and 2nd floor and 2 guys did the Living room 2 did the fire floor .. walking into the firehouse with 15 years under my belt certainly made it easier because I knew the differance between a halligan and hook or knob and a flake and being above and doing a search and ventilation operation is fairly simple and easy long as they have water on the seat of the fire... one thing especially doing searchs above the fire.. its the most dangerous pl;ace to be
I’m not sure what brought all this on; I spent the past few months thinking about every moment of the two training events.
A few suggestions as I have had some minor issues with mine too. While in the military I got trapped in a confined space that quickly filled with water, and no it wasn't a training exercise either. Wear the mask as much as you can obviously. If you can take one home even better. I have sat on my couch many of nights watching tv with it on just to continue getting really used to it and comfortable with it too. A lot of people don't seem to have any issues until they cant see their surroundings, black out your mask and get use to it that way too. One of my Lt.'s suggested to try using tint, each day using another sheet or going a shade darker so you get use to it slowly. There are many things to do to get over the fear of wearing it, confined spaces etc... TIME TIME TIME- M E is in TIME and only Time can get me over me. No one can really help you with what is going on upstairs but yourself. Your own Psych is a very powerful tool that we all underestimate at times and use your training times for just that training. its typically a controlled environment and with many proctors available to help. If you think your freaking out or about to take your time, take a deep breath and relax. It will pay off in the long run.
The only thing I can add is this. Take a smoke divers class. They are a pain in the butt from What I've heard but they make you live in your SCBA for the whole class all day every day. I'm just one of those old guys who took to being a fireman like a duck to water. Can't run a marathon or climb 50 stories like we do in training now but get me in a maze or a black out drill and I love it. The only piece of personal advice I can add is slow down,control your breathing and think ahead 2 steps when you make your next move. A lot of what we do involves facing personal challenges and fears of the known and unknown.
This is where being in control of yourself and understanding and weighing the risks involved lets us master and contain the situation. Remember the cardinal rule Only by training ourselves thru constant repetition on the drill field can we make that grab or find that down firefighter in real life. Listen to your insructors, take your mask and scba home,if you can, and wear it till it becomes second nature. Good luck to all and stay safe
I teach at our fire academy and I'll be honest I've really never seen someone get completely over claostrophobia. You can get to the point where you can learn to tolerate and work in a mask but it's never going to be comfortable. I agree with what folks are saying here, wear your mask ALOT! You will also need to work into wearing your mask "blacked out". Do this by covering the lense. Working in SCBA is a lot about controling your emotions. It may be more anxiety than claostrophobia. Now anxiety you can work through through training. Good luck to you.
We had our first smoke house training this last weekend, once you go in that building and you can't see anything the feeling of having a mask on soon goes away. The one issue I had was someone going through our team and checking if we had our bottles on and turning mine off. It was an exercise in trust/double checking. So, when I put the regulator on and went to breathe and no air came out, for that one or two seconds a panic did come over me. But, then you realise you can just reach around and turn yourself on or get your partner to do it.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service