Hey y'all! I'll admit, I'm a noob to the firefighter/fire department scene. But I need a little help...

I live out in the woods of southern Mississippi. I joined a VFD about 5 months ago. I'm an EMT but was told I can only do the EMR scope of practice due to not having med control. The fastest an ambulance can get to most of our calls is 15-20 minutes. I really want to be able to use my EMT SOP since I can do more. Plus, I'm the only one in my VFD with this high of a EMS certification.

How can I start fighting for med control? Where do I go? Who do I talk to? Does anyone else's VFD have access to med control?

Thanks to all who can help!

-The medical nerd

Views: 856

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm telling you how it is in most departments.  If you don't like people's advice, then don't ask.  If I showed up with a few months on the job and tried to tell people how things should be run, I'd be laughed at and driven out of the house.  Rookies don't have an opinion in most departments, plain and simple.

You may not like my advice but I gave you my honest opinion.  I work for one of the busiest departments in the nation that is very strong on tradition.  We have to earn respect, which takes a lot more than a few months.  I'm not sorry for telling you how it is in most places.  To call me close minded for that is extremely ignorant on your part.  You've still got a lot to learn in your career and should start with learning how to take advice.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service