As you can see, the room is already lit up. Apparently they are in no rush to get the ladder off the rig and in place. So......WTF?

http://e.blip.tv/scripts/flash/showplayer.swf?file=http%3A%2F%2Fbli...

Views: 878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Go read the Captains account on page 2.

All you can see is a grainy image. He was there.

Truck Company ops are not tied to a hand line.
She left the board, but Ill be sure and let her see the video...and will relay her thoughts.

Busy Boston area FD, lots of experiencs anyone who knows anyone on here will tell you Siren knows her stuff...
I watched the video and read the post. I can see how the room would appear to flash when it wasn't. I really couldn't see what the other guy was doing over to the right.
However, like I said before, I'm not always right.
Erin
Well....here goes nothin. I'm the one that started this thread, and let me be the first to say...I never called anyone an idiot, or a moron, or a fool. All I was doing was questioning their actions. Monday morning quarterbacking? Yes...absolutley!! Use it as a training tool? Most definitley!! My background? 19 years in the FDNY (still active) in one of the busiest (and best) truck companies in Brooklyn. Part time instructor at the FDNY Academy. The last 4 years in Special Operations Command (S.O.C.). If I had a report of a victim in that room, would I have made a push? Most likely......maybe.....who knows, I wasn't in the position that Capt. was in.

Now for some of the comments that have been posted :

Cloin Paul Hanna wrote : 1. The calm and deliberate manner the ladder was raised, cleared shash and positioned for self rescue.
3. No running to or fro, yelling or screaming (like that helps). Just calculated action

Sorry Paul, but if I arrive at a scene of a working fire and there's a report of people trapped, there's nothing calm about that job. I'm sure I would be moving a little bit quicker to get the portable to that window, this guys WALKING like it's a drill. Remember...every second counts. As far as yelling and screaming, it has no place on the fireground. It serves no purpose other than to excite and upset an already intense situation.

Barbara Nelson wrote : My only question when I first saw the video was why he did not have a charged line with him.

Barbara : VES is just what it means......Vent, Enter, Search. Too many times I have seen well meaning souls put a line into a window trying to knock down a heavy fire condition, and end up cooking the engine co. advancing the line through the interior. Those brothers/sisters have spent many days, weeks, months, in the burn center due to the actions of a well intentioned, but improper, use of a line.

Erin Tarver wrote : JEEZUS C%$#@
What the f@#$ were these idiots thinking?!
A. NObody heeled that ladder nor did they even set it up correctly for a victim rescue!!
b. What the F#@! were they doing going into a situation were the whole room is flashing and transitioning into a fully involved mess???
Wow!!!

Sorry Erin, totally uncalled for. I understand you were upset and angry, but......... No need for name calling.

Now.....back to my original statement...

Tom wrote : As you can see, the room is already lit up. Apparently they are in no rush to get the ladder off the rig and in place. So......WTF?

As far as the comments about ladder angles, and ladder placement....we have to work with what we're given. I've put portables on top of parked cars, against fences as a footing, at angles that are probably illegal in some countries (LOL) to get the job done. It would have been nice if someone was footing the ladder, but WHAT IF (and thats the monkey wrench), WHAT IF there wasn't enough members to foot the ladder....do you not go up the ladder with a report of a trapped victim to make a grab? Of course not....you do your job, and deal with the consequenses later. (Ever hear of driving a halligan into the ground as an anchor point?) Yeah yeah, I know...safety, safety, safety!!! Hey...wake up!!! It's a dangerous job (I know I'll take alot of crap for that statement) and not everyone goes home in one piece. Sometimes, we never make it home, but that's our job, that's what we do, and it sucks, and it's a FACT.

I have watched the video a number of times.... at home and at work. I've spoken to a number of people I work with (Firemen, Lt.s, Capt.s, Chiefs) and they are all of the same mind set...it's Monday Morning Quarterbacking....but WTF were they thinking.

Watch the video again....watch it all you want....we weren't there so we'll never know the true facts..... I personally know, as I'm sure you all do, a few brothers that like to get as close to the fire as possible to do nothing but get "Smoked Up" You know, come out with their gear burnt up, their eye shields melted, their helmet singed and burnt. The ones that get as dirty as possible but actually do nothing. They wipe their gloves along the sooty walls and rub their faces with them so they look like they were "Doing It" But what did they accomplish? Nothing but getting dirty. I find it odd that only one person (I think) commented on the second fireman ascending the portable. Take a look at the video again. He never looks up to see what he's entering. He blindly ascends the portable and is about to enter the room when it suddenly FLASHES over and he's driven back. That's when the Capt. finally bails out, and the second member is stuck on the portable and is forced to jump off the portable (wearing close too 100 lbs. of gear). Remember there's three sides to every story, your side, my side, and the truth.
Thanks Caleb, thank you very much.
I appreciate your input, and those like you....that's what makes us.....US!!!
Don't we all :-)
Amen my brother....Amen!!!
Yeah yeah, I know...safety, safety, safety!!! Hey...wake up!!! It's a dangerous job (I know I'll take alot of crap for that statement) and not everyone goes home in one piece. Sometimes, we never make it home, but that's our job, that's what we do, and it sucks, and it's a FACT.

That pretty much sums it up brother!

TCSS
Yeah yeah, I know...safety, safety, safety!!! Hey...wake up!!! It's a dangerous job (I know I'll take alot of crap for that statement) and not everyone goes home in one piece. Sometimes, we never make it home, but that's our job, that's what we do, and it sucks, and it's a FACT.
It is a dangerous job, but it doesn;t mean we have to take unnecessary risks or put ourselves in more danger.

If we don't change that mindset, then LODD's will continue to rise.
The LODD's have remaained pretty much static since the what 1950's.

Better gear, better equipment, still losing guys.

As long as we are out there trying to save lives it s gonna happen.
Why settle for static?

Change the mindset of many who think it's acceptable and let see a reduction of LODD's- isn;t that the better thought process?

As long as we are out there trying to save lives it s gonna happen.
I don't beleive thereis any such thing, but I'd love to see a comparison of LODD's between different countries around the world, then compare PPE used vs. tactics (offensive vs. defensive), vs. member numbers vs. job numbers, etc.

As an unfounded guess, I'd suggest that the USA has the highest worldwide- but it doesn't have to be that way....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service