Five Minutes in the Street: The View from the Front Seat

Let’s take some time to discuss the mission critical issues related to effective observations of an occupancy and the building structure upon arrival. In this case, we have nothing showing from the curb side of the street, however what is it that we’re seeing? Whats obvious, what isn't. What are our concerns related to what I see, or what I can assume. Look over the image depicted.

Let’s start some discussions and dialog related to any number of the company operational assignments that may ne necessary to be assigned and carried out.

Let’s also discuss and identify the;

• Let’s also discuss and identify the;
• Building features
• occupancy,
• projected construction type(s),
• construction systems,
• fire loading,
• occupancy load,
• live safety
• layout,
• volume,
• configuration,
• movement challenges,
• laddering issues,
• ventilation profile,
• suppression profile,
• building and occupancy risk profile and factors,
• manpower, staffing and company needs,
• apparatus placement, positioning, access
• forcible entry,
• access, egress,
• hazards
• risks

Or anything else you'd like to point out and get some feedback on....

Are you starring to get the picture? This is an open forum for critical observations, discussions and assumptions. It’s the “What if….” We may throw some issues affecting a fire or other response criteria later, for now, let’s see how well you can assess, analyze and profile this occupancy…….

I've added an aerial view to further along more discussion. Again, this is a single family occupancy....

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would definately agree with everyone else on the construction and difficulties of SAR, and fire suppression. I would like to add, however, in the arial photo I think I see a swimming pool in back. There appears to be a dirt drive on the left side of the house. If there is water in the pool and no close water supply you could set up a truck at the pool to draft and possibly supply the main attack engine. This would depend on the fire size though. I wouldn't put a truck back there if fully involved as it is too close to the house. Another thing I see is quite a few cars. Possibly some visitors or just a really big family. I don't know.
"The first thing I thought about the occupancy class of this structure was possibly an assisted living facility, such as ARC or a nursing home."

Merely commenting on my first thoughts with the immense size of the structure. (wink)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service