Firemen Going to Medical Calls that are not Medically Trained!

On my department a lot of our calls are medical calls and we've got 15-20 fireman that are medical trained for this reason and the ambulance will call use when they need assistance. But we get quite a few fireman that show up that are not trained at all, they might have cpr but thats it. Nobody seems to care about this that we've got untrained people trying to help out at medical calls. My question is, is this even legal and what would happen if it would ever go to court and what can be done to try to stop it. I just dont want a lawsuit and the other fireman are like it'll never happen, maybe I'm over reacting here I dont know.

Views: 983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"We have some people who have gone 10 years without a card, yet still sign in for EMS calls."

That's the same as stealing, and should not be condoned.
we do a refresher coarse every year and some of these firefighters refuse to show up but will still come to medical calls......................I guess I'll have to learn to deal with it tell something happens about it.
I don't know what else to add besides these un-medically trained firefighters will one day get in over their head if they are responding to EMS calls with NO medical training! Can you say, "Scope of practice"? And as Art pointed out, good samaritan laws may not cover you if you're part of a Fire/EMS Department. In my opinion, if they are NOT medically trained, they should not respond to EMS calls or respond to the station only in case extra manpower is needed. It sound like a huge ticking liability timebomb! Stay safe!
My company doesn't run ems...but the squad in our coverage area knows that we are willing to help out if they request. And they do very regularly for drivers,lift assists as well as forcible entry into homes or areas that they can not acess easily.
It even works so well that they donated a rig that they took out of service to us for use as a light rescue.
I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay in a hotel last night. First i would check with someone familiar with the laws of your state. But this is what i think it will come down to. 1st, do your members meet the minimum requirements as spelled out under state law. 2nd do they meet the requirements of your dept. 3rd are they operating under the scope of their training and experience. If you can answer yes to all of these, then your dept. is probably exempt from a lawsuit.
Some state have very lax regulations reguarding your situation. Although this may have changed, a few years ago a state passed a law that allowed FF who had been partaking in adult beverages, to still be covered for they actions. They figured a 'slightly, I repeat a slightly' intoxicated FF was better than none.
I have to say we don't have that problem.. Most of them are first responders.. You don't think a untrained member can not hold a bandage or put a piece of tape on a4+4.. Maybe help strap on a pt on a board... People are not dumb.. These guys I would hope are there to help you.. I have never been on a all that it was not nice to have someone ask can I help.. Most of our fireman are our lifters my head holder,my tape guy ,or hey hold this for me..... They are not there to cause harm ,,, So use them.. What legal that they put the tape on wrong, held the pt's arm while you wrapped it... for reallll... If you have some one doing more then there's a problem....
"I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay in a hotel last night." Brilliant! There're few things better than a laugh, and you just gave me one! Thanks Jay.
You need to look into your State laws on that, Its kind of a fine line in a way cause you as a cpr /first responder have an obligation to help a victim, on the "insurance law side "..again goes by State, but if you guys are vollie and do not have SOP for members to be EMT trained than your inviting the non trained, if your paid then your District or State needs to make or enforce its guidelines for what employees are trained as.
Either way lets face it you can have every training there is some one will try a lawsuite anyway just the shame of it.
boy your right on there Joey, sue happy lawyers now a days:(
Holding limbs,taping gauze, strapping pts????? ,, But you are right heck you can be trained end up with miss sue happy waiting to live the life of a hog......Oh helll I want to be that person.lol
i don't have any official medical training, as it's not required to ride on the engine/truck. i've always planned on getting it, i just haven't started quite yet.
anyway, i've been on my share of medicals, and i always have a job. start the O2, set up the mask, carry the bags, grab the cot, help load the patient. sometimes you can even help establish scene control by calming down kids or whatnot.
i don't give direct patient care, but i know there's always a job that can be done.
"If you have some one doing more then there's a problem...."

I believe that's what this thread was about in the first place. Not whether or not you utilize FF's for extra manpower on a medical scene.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service