Okay, here is a short video on firefighter mode for elevators. Remember that each jurisdiction should check with their buildings and operational guidelines. This video may not be the only way to operate certain types of elevators but it is indicative of most in our area.

It was asked of me to mention the "HOLD" position.  This position in most elevator cars allows the crew to place the key in the "HOLD" position and exit the car without it getting recalled to the lobby.  When the crew gets back in the car they need to turn back to the "ON" position and take full control of the car again.

The "BYPASS" position is at the lobby control.  This can be used to put the elevator back into normal operation if the alarm system has not reset.  This should be done only after it as been determined that the alarm activation is a malfunction or service related.

Hope that helps.

Train hard and thanks for reading.
Jason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_xjaz4MuM&feature=youtube_gda...

Views: 436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've never professed to be Captain Elevator considering that highrise structures are few and far between where I have worked as a firefighter. This video is very well done and covers just a couple of key points that are very valuable to understand and be exposed to before an incident.

Back in the day, I remember hearing that elevators made use of IFR detectors to prevent a small childs hand from being smashed in closing elevator doors.  I also heard that one of the reasons for the firefighter button was to not only gain control of the car, but to bypass the IFR detector. This was important because smoke with carbon in it prevented the door from closing not being able to differentiate a childs hand from carbon filled smoke. Is this still the case?

- Mike

Thanks, Mike. I will double check on that and will let you know. I think I know the answer, but want to be sure.

Jason

It was asked of me to mention the "HOLD" position.  This position in most elevator cars allows the crew to place the key in the "HOLD" position and exit the car without it getting recalled to the lobby.  When the crew gets back in the car they need to turn back to the "ON" position and take full control of the car again.

The "BYPASS" position is at the lobby control.  This can be used to put the elevator back into normal operation if the alarm system has not reset.  This should be done only after it as been determined that the alarm activation is a malfunction or service related.

Hope that helps.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service