I am trying to find out information on dry barrel and wet barrel hydrants. How many turns does it take to have each one fully open?

Views: 6626

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In our district, 12 to 38...
Todd,

Just a question for you....Why do you want to know this?
This seems to be a question a junior or new FF would ask, not someone stating they have 17 years on the job and is a training officer and a captain.
Mischoice of words Nick - My bad.

If you do not manually drain the new dry barrel hydrants they essentially remain wet post use as they do not contain a self draining feature from the past. This is OK in the summer but tend to freeze when the winter months come along.
Maybe a junior or cadet asked him in a class? [shrugs shoulders]

I've had to open quite a few dry barrels lately, and they all required 20 or so counter clockwise turns. My borough is currently undergoing a major water line/main upgrade, replacing 80+ year old 6 and 8 inch mains with 12's. Seriously, half the damn borough has it's road's torn up right now. With these new lines and mains we're getting all new hydrants, and I've yet to open one of these new ones. I'm going to have to make it a point to do so soon, to see if there's any difference.
A lot....and you count the number and leave the wrench in place...that way you know how many turns to shut it down....we also put a gated valve on every opening....Just in case it is needed......that way you don't have to shut it down to hook another line if needed.....Paul
John, i was asked this by a student in class......Mueller brand hydrants dry barrel require 18 revolutions to open fully.....I advised the class that all manufacturers use different stem types and may require less or more turns to open the hydrant fully......but i had a hard time finding info about this to back up my answer......also in Louisiana we do not have wet barrel hydrants so not much info available on them here.
How many revolutions does it take to open the hydrants in your district?
But be forewarned....every plug you open will be different....so don't rely on what you find on one plug....just as important is to know the flow rating for each hydrant (color coded) in your fire districy.....Stay safe....Keep the Faith.........Paul

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service