Employment with a felony? (Thank you everyone who helped me, I appreciate it very much)

First I would like to thank anyone and everyone who responds to this message. When I was 19 back in 1999 I was arrested for unlawful possesion of drug paraphenalia and possesion of a controlled substance. To make a long story short I was driving with "friends" when I was pulled over for speeding, my "friends" hid their contraband in my car without my knowledge and since it was in my car and they denied owning the above mentioned articles, I was arrested and charged. It has been 10 years since then and now that I know I want to become a firefighter I am afraid that this will keep me from obtaining my dream...so I guess my question is, am I screwed? Should I just try and forget about becoming a fireman? What if I can get this felony expunged? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God bless

Views: 3184

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

bump
If it is a First class Felony really depends on your States criteria for meeting the standards if you can talk to your probation officer he might be able to have it knocked to a mistermeanor through a judge and D.A. and thats a biggg maybe if your civil service is anything like ours might want to look into something else
We have a FF get his felony expunged last year. He had kinda the same thing happen like 10 years or so ago too.
And they took him on regardless of his expunged felony??? Maybe I'm streein myself out when I do have options? I just want this really bad.
Well this is kinda of a long story, he got let go from another department when he recived the felony, than a couple years later we hired him on (yes we knew of his felony but he's a great guy and we already knew this). Well than a couple years ago the state was going to start doing background checks on everyone so he took a leave of absence for a couple of months and took care of his bussiness. He brought back the court papers to prove so and he's back on our crew. I'd say to you if you really want to be a FF then go and try to get it taken care of.
i would have to say if you want this then you need to go and see what needs to be done.. I truly believe that things change and that we do things in our life that sometimes is not cool, we should all get a second chance.. No more problems arrest and so on right????? So the only way to find out is to go and deal with it.... Good luck
This topic is one that is near and dear to me as my department happens to have 2 officers who have felonies (and they are on oposite ends of the spectrum). Here in lies the issue, in Ohio a felony conviction is not an absolute denial for certification, but for many departments it is. Of course a felony conviction involving an issue that would bring in to doubt the moral character of the applicant is ground for the state to deny licensure automatically. This being said one can still get an attorney and appeal it, and often win. Of course you also in most states have the option of sealing a record which will put it off limits to background checks.

Now, that said, if you were 19 years old and in the situation you describe and have a clean criminal and driving record since as well as a good work history, I would be inclined to give you a shot. At the same time I will also say that even giving one a chance, I would probably also be inclined to watch the person MUCH closer and would not want to find anything that would raise any sort of questions. While I realize people make mistakes, I also unfortunately work in the legal system outside of the fire service and see MANY repeat customers.

Hope this helps you in your decision making.

Rob
I would go and talk to your county Judge...be honest and straight forward and see what/if anything can be done...that's the zinger with felonies....they will follow you for the rest of your life...For some charges you may be able to have them expunged...for others cannot....Getting busted for possession is a little better than possession with intent to sale....so maybe get a few letters of character from some reputable people and present them to your Judge and see if he/she can do anything for you.....Good luck.........Paul
if you can get it expunged then its like it never happened itll cost you some money but a good lawyer should be able to help you
I am not sure what state you are in but i can tell you that if you get it Expunged it will still show on your record. I would put in for a Goverment pardon and ask for the record to be sealed. It will not be a quick process, but i would be a start. If you can get this done, the pardon will state what rights you will have and you can use that on your application at a station. If it has been 10 years then i would think you should be excused if you have not had ANY other violations.
That's right. Once it's expunged, it's just like it never happened. Even the police can't find it on a background check, unless you're arrested again for something, then it will show up. Hopefully you can get it done cheap.
Yes Allen, you are correct....I checked with a friend of mine....it will still show up on record show...May be better than having it there alone but probably not by much...He would need a pardon...and that can only be gotten by the State Governor or the Federal government and is NOT an easy thing to do...."felonies" are not an easy thing to make disappear......Good Luck.....Paul

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service