I'm pretty sure that I'm a member of an emergency organisation, not an emergent organisation...

According to my dictionary:

emergency   n,  v.i.,  sudden and urgent occasion for action

emergent   adj.  1. emerging  2. (of a nation) recently independent & generally in early stage of development.

Views: 411

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Chief has a cow when we use emergent so we say emergency. His definitions was a medicaid/medicare term of response.
Well. This thread seems to have slid away from the original question a little. Such is life in forum land.

Heather. Really? Thank you for that hint, I would never have known! See? I even know the meaning of the word 'sarcasm' too. (I tend to skim results, only looking deeply when something is really important; do you always read every response to a search?) I think I have a reasonable knowledge of the English language, having been born in England and lived in an English speaking country all my life. We speak English in Australia, just in case you didn't know. I don't know everything about my native language of course, but then who could?

Raymond, I always have a laugh at that Americanism you used - "has a cow" - I don't use it, but it's a funny one, the meaning behind it is so obvious :o)
Glad I could provide the support you needed :-)

and to answer your question... I have been in University for the last 11 years - so NOPE I have not READ anything in 11 years - I only skim... so I hardly ever know what is really going on... LOL... it serves me well...

plus as you will see if you read my works... my nuggets of wisdom are mixed in with my wanderings and entertaining bs

And... don't have a cow... when you look up the word sardonic !
Sardonic! Nice word, subtle difference from the word 'sarcastic'. I will admit, I never thought of that one when I read your first post in this thread! Eleven years in Uni? No wonder that like me, you mainly skim. I wasn't there that long, but do have Post Graduate in Applied Science; it helped me get a job. I'll have to follow up on your wanderings - when I'm not meandering myself...

As this thread was meant to be about word usage, I'll add another. A single word having multiple meanings, quite common in English you will agree? Let's take one word, a very common word here. One often misunderstood by people not versed in colloquial usage. 'Bastard' - originally a simple word meaning 'born out of wedlock' shall we say? Used commonly as an insult. Sometimes thought of as a swearword. I have been called 'bastard' by other members at the station; also could be used by me about my grandfather. Neither use being offensive - in Aust. we will call workmates a 'bastard', just a word between friends; whereas my grandfathers parents married a couple of years after he was born, I don't think I'd have mentioned the term if I'd ever met him though... One thing that we should always tell visitors to Australia is to be very observant of the tone a person uses in saying 'bastard'. It is often meant in its full insulting manner!
Maybe we will get to be bastards alongside each other one day...

Yes, in your meanderings you will see that LOTS is lost in the translation of intent and feelings and tone due to the 2-dimensional aspect of this medium. No one can see if I am smiling or other body language or if I am screaming it at my computer or snickering. I feel that sometimes people are too sardonic on this site as they slip way beyond irony... then into sarcasm... then direct it in a mean way at a specific person as sardonic sarcasm. So I have NEVER said something on this site to be sardonic, but I love irony and sarcasm... but since people can't see me and hear me - they don't know that I am JUST PLAYING !!!

I LOVE to PLAY ON WORDS... as in the "redneck" discussion. In general, across the page, you will notice a few others enjoy playing in like fashion.

And if I am pissed off - I am usually quite direct, I will just straight cuss someone out if I am pissed at them - I will rarely sugar coat in a sardonic manner.

* I wrote a poem on the end of the discussion "weirdest things found in a fire" - a funny read and then part two of that conversation bled into the end of the discussion on "stereotypes."
Tony, I think you're a member of an "emergent" organisation, post the Royal Commission....

Loads of changes and definitely in the early stages of new developments.
P.S. what does one do with an Applied Science degree where you live?
Great word!That is one of those great multi-purpose words.Fits well in a variety of situations.I learned that one when I wasn't very old(it was my grandfathers favorite adjective)B.S. is another outstanding all purpose word.
Mine is in computing.
Please Luke, I'm still trying to ignore those bastards. Changes will happen. People will leave. More people will come on board. The circle continues.

PS. That was not an 'in fun' or sign of friendship use of the word 'bastards'.
Aint that truth! It'll be a revolving door for a while. Loads of stuff to settle, loads of stuff still to be explored properly and fully understood. Not sure that the report has hit the nail on the head though- might have missed the point on some issues....
So you do use the word... in the same say that most of the U.S. uses it.

For most of the U.S. it is each to a cuss word... or used in some negative manner.

How bad then that your colleagues use it...

So instead - yes, be my friend and leave its bad meaning by the wayside.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service