I've been flipping through utube videos all night, and i am amazed at how many times departments can be seen at a car fire and not using full structural ppe, to include scba. My question is are there really that many departments tha dont require this? Full ppe should be required to be worn at any car fire, do these people just want to die young? everyones thoughts

Views: 868

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I disagree, I think you can learn alot from them. pick up the mistakes and the good, and use them for training purposes.
I apologize, I wasn't very clear with my reply.

If what you see in the videos bothers you so much.....then maybe you shouldn't watch them.

As an example, if I watched a video on how to raise children.....and they showed that filling their drink cups with half vodka and half bourbon was a good way to calm then down for a good nights sleep......I would not watch the video(s) anymore.

I hope that explains things a little better
We require full PPE for car fires. One night we were dispatched to a car fire, We responded in our tanker. The tanker does not have SCBA inside the cab, So as I was pulling my airpack out of the compartment when a retired member walked up to me and said "put the F**ing airpack down and put some water on that fire" I finished putting on my pack and then attacked the fire. While we were cleaning up before going back in service he walked over and said "you could have saved that car if you wouldnt have wasted time with that F**ing airpack" I told him " we didnt lose the car it was fully involved before we got here, but on the bright side atleast I'm not going to get lung cancer" He did'nt like my response and stormed off. He called the chief the next day but the chief told him that I did nothing wrong.
For me in my paid department an volunteer department it is a requirement to wear full ppe. Its crazy not to.
Again I'm new to my volunteer Dept, but in observation I have noticed that the only fires the BaA's were not used were grass fires. On the ship where I work for a living and am on the Fire Party, only the entry teams require BA's, search parties and boundry cooling do not.
Great answers from everyone. Now lets all go get a bowl of ice cream, sit in our la-z-boys and take a nap. We'll go out back for a smoke later.
A LITTLE? That was pretty obvious sarcasm
You can do dumpsters in clean air with NO Scba.Just gun 'em,hehe
Nice answer. Aren't car fires just dumpster fires on wheels? The engine wouldnt have a "gun" if we weren't supposed to use it.
We (in Los Angeles CITY) always wear full Sturcture ppe's to all carfires.
We may not wear our SCBAs but, we wear full PPE!!!!

Explorer Marc Hurwitz
Los Angeles CITY Fire Department
Post 68
Not even a question. Wear the SCBA! and full PPE
We are definatly required to be in full gear including SCBA when striking the fire... After its out, usually the airpack comes off.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service