My department has 3 juniors and we don't know how to get kids interested in the fire service. 2 out of the 3 juniors don't show up. Do you have any idea's on how to get kids to want to join and stay interested?

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

my department has no problem drawing juniors.............currently we have about 28-30 junior firefighters (im number 22) well we just basically went around bagdad asking people if they wanted to join and since we have several firefighters with tennagers its not a problem. I would try putting up flyers or maybe making a presentation at a local school or church youth group.
We posted flyers around my school and put panflets in the guidance office. And about 2 out of 3 not showing up, if i was advisor or w/e I'd b sayin ya outta here...I take it as a privlege to b on my post- maybe it's just me. Idk....Umm...I was excited when I heard just about getting your own gear, and that we do anything trained firefighters do! So i'm getting experience now.

Other than that, idk...sorry
have some nights where u do training and have some open houses the department i was on at one time had about 10-12 explorers but i usually was the only one who showed up and i got the okay to advertise at my hs for the program but got little or no response
When ever you have a parade hand out flyer.
We appointed a Jr administrator. This person is a senior member who his more in their age bracket. Which in turn gives them someone they feel more comfortable with if they have or need something. The administrator reports to the chiefs not the Jr's. We also include them in all our training which in turn has bolstered our training attendance even with the senior members.
The best way to keep them interested is to make them feel welcome and part of the group.
Im one of two juniors and ive been trying to get ppl for about a year and nothing is working but thats mostly because the kids in our area that would do it are too young. Trust me as they get older they will begin to join.
yo have to love this job to say with it
you have to love the job to stay with it

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service