I'm on an EMS squad and like many people, I'm in the awkward position of not being exactly new, but haven't been promoted to an officer yet. Because of this, a lot of the younger/newer members bring their problems to me if they don't feel comfortable bringing them to the officers. 

One of the problems is that of recognition. People want to be recognized for the effort they put forth in the squad. I realize as much as anyone that we work in an often thankless field and should not expect gratitude for anything. However, since we are a volunteer squad, volunteer retention is a problem that isn't helped by people feeling unappreciated.

One of the proposed solutions is to hand out awards at the annual dinner. Right now, the only awards handed out are given to the top 5 responders (call volume) and members of the board (president, treasurer, etc.) 

My questions I pose to the fine folks in this forum are:

Can you think of any awards that either your department gives, or any that you think would work well?

How would you prefer to receive this award? Would a certificate work? commendation bar? engraved plaque?

Thanks

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

how about ( outstanding public service )in the form of certificate
Our department hands out awards for most calls, most shift hours, most work hours, and most training hours. Each respective winner gets a small trophy/plaque, and a little gift, such as this past year they received the channel lock rescue tool.

mine from last year, most training hours with 319
I would like to see our department institute outstanding firefighter and outstanding EMT awards annually. I'd probably do 2 plaques that can be added to each year for numerous years plus certificates for recipients.
Sweet! Congratulations!
thanks for the advice folks. I'll have to approach the officers about them.
We do the Most Valuable FF/EMT voted on by the general members of the department. The membership also nominates and elects the Most Improved FF/EMT. We also do the others like most calls, most training, and Captains Choice Award. The MVFF and MIFF are nice because that is recognition that is decided by everyone not just the administration.
Be safe and learn something new today.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service