I am running for Chief in our upcomming elections. The rumor is that the guys are already planning on voting for me. I'm not trying to get the cart before the horse, but if I do get elected Chief what are some suggestions that could make me a valuable Chief? The guys trust me very much as a Captain and even applaud my ability to run a scene. They also like the fact that I respect them and thier ideas. The reason I decided to run is because these guys have begged and pleaded with me all summer to run. Our Chief has burned some bridges with other depts. and our guys feel like these depts. don't respect them. We all feel that our Chief has reached a plateau in his career and maybe it's time for a change.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Stay safe brothers and sisters!!!!

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you have assistant chief positions or equivalent, or is it one step from Captain to Chief?

In our department one needs to be Asst. chief for 2 years minimum before being able to run for chief.

It sounds like you have the support and respect of the members which is a huge step in the right direction. Keep them safe, make sure they train regularly and work well with surrounding departments.
Captain, my suggestion to you is learn to be their Chief and not just their friend. Its easy to have their support because their your friend but gets hard when you have to do the right thing when its not the popular thing to do. You will then need to step up and be the leader they need not want. Build bridges with the other Departments leadership. You all need each others support. Joint training is a good step in that direction. You say that the Chief is an elected position. So if you piss people off you may be ousted? OUCH!
Good luck Bro. You have the support to start out with. Build on it and you'll do well.
I agree with Fireyladd Chief Sharp 100%.. You will need to be the chief first and a friend second.
Hey Joe. The way we are set up is that one must have at least 2 yrs. on our dept. and 4 yrs. in the fire service to run for an officer's position. Sounds pretty goofy, believe me I know. We have a Chief, Asst. Chief and 2 Captains.
As always Chief Sharp you have made alot of sense. Thank you so much for you imput on this matter. Don't get me wrong, I can be a hard ass when called for and sometimes I do piss people off. The majority know why I do things the way I do and some have even told me they appreciate it. That feels better than anything. It lets me know they are learning. Thank you all for your imput. It means alot and I hope that if I do win the elections that I can take our dept. in the right direction.
Capt, In 17 years as Chief I have learned many things. Some at the cost of mistakes. Being willing to recognize our mistakes and willing to learn from them. Above all be willing to apologize when you make mistakes. Recognize your people and tell them when they've done well.
Absolutely. I will never forget that they are the one's who put me in that position and it will be an honor to have the chance to lead them. I hope I don't let them down. But like I stated, I don't want to put the cart before the horse. The election is next month. But I will definately take the advice even if I don't make Chief.

Thank you very much.
Stay safe!!!
Captain, I wish you good luck with the elections first. Second, you will be stepping up to a position with a lot more responsibility that comes with the title. Be firm, but be fair and open minded. Be there for them when they need you, and they will be there for you, when you need them. Remember, If you lose in the elections( not saying you will ) keep your head high, and continue on Captain.

Best of luck to you !
Thank you all for your responses!!! You are giving me great information and much hope. I know there's going to be alot more responsiblity and there may be some feelings get hurt, but I know everything will work out in the end. The hardest part for me is going to be standing back and watching while everyone else is working. I have never been able to do this. Maybe the guys can tie me up to the engine and make me stay there, who knows :-)

Stay safe and thanks to all of you!!! It means alot!!!
13 years in and your already about to be Chief?
If you are elected chief I hope that you are fair to everyone no matter if its a man or women please have diversity in your department.
Keep the can of whoop ass out of the public eye.
Take full responsibility for the actions of your fire department and firefighters.
Learn from mistakes and work to reduce the number of mistakes.
Your department's public image should be geniune; that is, a good moral/ethical base.
LEAD.
TCSS.
Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2020   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service