ABC Television's "Jimmy Kimmel Show" and their 09-14-10 video asking the public to kick a "Hero" in the nuts... Really?

If any of you are wondering whether your jobs are safe, please note how the media depicts you, and for those who think Rescue Me is an acceptable show, please consider what is really lost when you allow someone to loose respect for you. This video clearly shows that to be true. What a sad day for emergency services, and just days after the 9-11 anniversary. Looks like some people did forget...

I don't know how other feel, but for me personally, I am outraged and deeply offended.

09-17-2010 Update: The following email was sent directly to the Jimmy Kimmel Show.

What were you thinking?

On the 09-14-2010 Jimmy Kimmel show, a skit entitled, "Kick a Hero In the Nuts" was shown. I am enraged that this type of satire would be allowed, especially considering it was only three days after
the 9-11 anniversary. The additional use of military people and the direction
to "kick hero's in the nuts" was incredibly insensitive toward
families and coworkers who have lost someone special in their lives. If your
goal was to denigrate law enforcement, firefighters and military personnel,
then you were successful. My only question is why? I find it hard to believe
that no one in the production company stepped up. I understand that it is a
late night talk show but handling oneself with dignity and honor and respecting
those folks out there that risk their lives needs to be remembered. I am sure
you have seen, heard or read the phrase, "We Shall Not Forget". I
can't forget and am amazed that you managed to not only forget and denigrate in
the process the memories of all the HERO's that sacrificed their lives for
people they never even knew.

Views: 830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is interesting that Vic, Reg and Lutan, all residing and working in the land down under find nothing offensive about what was televised. Yet, pretty much most USA firefighters have taken offensive to what was produced and shown. I believe that there is a glaring difference between the job security for Australian firefighters compared to USA firefighters.
Hang on a second Mike- there's a handful of firefighters on this website who have take noffense.

It's hardly a representation of "most".

It's a comedy skit. Comedy pokes fun at just about anythign and everything. If it was a commercial put out by a Government agency or a Union or an organisation that actually has control over our dollars, welfare, funding, etc, then yeah, I'd take offense.

I guess we should take offense at the "Fire SUV" skit as well? I guess it's making fun of us and what we do as well?

Jeepers, I want to kick some of you guys in the nuts after reading some of these responses.... ;-)
Amen to all that Mick has said....
It is interesting that Vic, Reg and Lutan, all residing and working in the land down under find nothing offensive about what was televised.

Actually BZ, Reg resides in Georgia....while that is the south, I wouldn't consider it the "land down under".
I guess we should take offense at the "Fire SUV" skit as well? I guess it's making fun of us and what we do as well?

Loved that bit too.
A sexist depiction vs. a violent physical attack - damn right they're different!
If so, he picked a spectacularly poor way to make his point, especially given the apparent advocacy for physical violence in the clip.
John, you see firefighters advocate for physical attacks on each other here "everyday"?
Somehow, I seriously doubt that's accurate.
The Fire SUV skit didn't advocate for physical violence against public safety personnel. The Kimmel skit did. Those are two vastly different things.
If you live in Tennessee, Georgia is most definately the "Land Down Under".

{Sorry, Reg, but Eton is still south of Old Fort, right?}
Yah, I'm offended by it.

HOWEVER, if you put it into the context of budgets and funding cutbacks...
isn't that exactly what the "bean counters" do to us every fiscal year?

If THAT was the context that clip was intended for, it could be deamed as a editorial "cartoon" of sorts to support the people on the front lines... sadly, I didn't hear before and after audio to support that possability.

Mind you, I've never found his style of humor worth waiting up for... I'd sooner watch the weather channel for an hour than that guy.
Easy there. The Weather Channel is off-limits. I'm a huge fan of TWC. I'll leave it on all day and never get tired of it.
If you saw the WHOLE clip he is making fun of another TV show, Wipeout, for a ridiculous "tribute to our heros" version of their show. He was simply making fun of them for such a half assed and silly way to pay tribute. It's called comedy with sarcasm.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service