Just wanting input on dumpster fires. I have found a few blogs where departments use deck guns instead of handlines. Can you please tell me which tactic your department uses, if you use a combination what is the criteria for using a deck gun over a handline, has your department ever had injuries received from mitigating a dumpster fire. Of course include any other information you feel necessary.

Views: 386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

we usually have full ppe ....you can pack up at your prefrence...we will usually just use our 1 inch trashline.
My main reason for using the deck gun is to keep from getting in to the smoke. Secondary reason is it puts the fire out way faster, leaving you available much quicker. You dump your tank into the dumpster by way of the deck gun and in most cases it pretty much fills it up. Unless it is a roll off type dumpster, you're done with one tank of water.

I hate digging through a dumpster with pike poles, rubbish hooks or whatever, let alone having to pack up just to put out trash.

Using foam in my opinion is a waste of time and money unless there is some type of material that requires it. Most common garbage goes out just fine with plain old water if you use enough.

I can't remember a normal sized dumpster fire we couldn't put out with one tank of water.
we fight them with packs on as long as we can get to them and its not real windy, but on a real large style dumpster we'll use our deck gun if we can get to it.
We try to extend the stick right over the dumpster and fill it up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2021   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service