What influnced you to join the fire and ems service? Was it by watching emergency or any other first response series? Was it generations of family service? Was it the desire to help people? if so tell us about it.

Views: 1915

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also come from a 3 generations of firefighters. I agree with you, it is in or blood. Growing up in this you can't help not to do it.
I can upon a car wreck one day and it was someone that i worked with at the time and i helped save her life, so i decided from there that i wanted to help people all the time and what better way to do it and join the fire deptment.
Well, the reason for me joining the Millbrook Fire Dept & Rescue Squad is because I have grown up with the fire dept. All the time I would get the guys there asking me, "when you gonna join?" So finally when I was 17 I put my application in and was voted into the company in Oct. 2004. Ever since then I have had fun and learned a lot from fellow members and can't wait for what comes next. :-D Plus on top of it all, practically my entire family has been involved in one fire company or another. And that is how I personally got involved with the Fire Dept.
My late father used to be the Deputy fire Chief later becoming the Fire Chief and as a young child alot of my time was spent around the fire hall. I always looked up to the fire fighters around the hall and later joined myself as a Student Fire Fighter before I was of age to join the big boys. Now I have been an active member of the department for the last 7 years and Love it, besides I see my self as a real people person and like being involved with the town.
I'd always had a closet interest in the fire service, starting as a child, watching rigs blast past my house. When I moved to San Juan Island and became a 9-1-1 dispatcher, I mentioned this to a local fire chief. He hounded me for several months, and I one day found myself being stalked by his training officer. She stopped me on the street, and handed me an application packet. The rest, as they say, is history.
My late father was the Fire Chief and I had grew up around the Fire Hall as a child always looking up to the other guys and women on the department. , So for the last 8 or so years I have been fully involved with the local department and living on the tradition and loving it!
My love for it as a kid
I was born 2 1/2 months early with little to no chance at living and supposedly no chance for any quality of life. Since I made it through everything unscathed I feel like I owe something back.
I joined when I was in 11th grade and have had a great career. 1st as a volunteer and then a career firefighter. I guess Roy & John had a small influce but it was something I always wanted to do. Been on numerous fire & rescues. Stood elbows with alot of VIP's, ACTORS, Vice Presidents, Presidents etc. I may have been laughed at my some friends because I didn't grow up and still play with fire trucks!! LOL!! I think I picked the right career for me.
That is amazing what you went through seems to make life look so easy. God bless you!! Amy
thanks :D I definitely feel very very blessed to have made it... my NICU nurse was my hero, my docs wanted to pull the plug but she refused and told them to just give me a chance to fight... she made it her personal mission to keep me going (birthday cards every day etc etc). That helped me realize how much one person can have an impact on the direction of anothers life and I just hope to one day be that person to another.

Now my poor ma just has to deal with the fact that if I want to get something done I'm an unstoppable force.... all the better if it's something crazy like FD/PD :)

~Marie
FAMILY SERVICEMY FATHER WAS A MEMBER AND BY GOING WITH HIM TO MANY FIRE WHEN WE WERE YOUNG EASY TO DECIDE WHAT I WANTED TO DO TO HELP THE COMMUNITY... WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING ABOUT MY LIFE WOULD ,LIKE TO CHANGE SOME THINGS THAT I HAVE SEEN,BUT THATS LIFE.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service