at about 1500 today We had a Motorcycle MVC Upon arrival I pop the trunk of My crown vic and suit and boot and put My Helmet on ( cairns Traditional 1010) We get the Paitent unwrapped from his Motorbike and were packaging Him up.. An EMS Shift Supervisor was standing right next to Me working on the patient and I guess He and I thought the same thing and both bent down at the same time I just felt the THUMP as We head butted.. ( He wasnt wearing a Helmet) and hit right on the Brass Shield holder and He went down on his butt.. ... Needless to say Im still kissing ass to keep Mine out of Hot water..

Note to Self... COMMUNICATE BETTER! lol

If anybody else has a story where they have royally Effed up Id love to hear about it if only to make Me feel better..

Sgt Bobby J King
Madison County Div of Emergency Services
Firefighter Rescue Tech
" The Sexiest Man to ever wear Nomex"

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm with you on this one Todd....
Here's one (of many).

For 2 nights in one week I was detailed off my company and assigned to Ladder 4. I had only been on the job a short time. It was about 10 below zero. I didn't want to be cold, so I bundled up. I wore couple pair of long underwear, and a uniform sweatshirt. As we were going out to a call I put on a nylon liner jacket under my turnout coat. I was warm.

Ladder 4 was a slower company and therefore had a lot of older guys assigned to it. When we got to the fire the LT moved me to the roof team, Made sense. I was 19 or so and in great shape. It might as well be me up on the roof swinging an axe. We made our way to the roof, and when I got up there I realized that I was so bundled up that I could not raise my arms to properly swing the Axe. The Lt ended up having to cut the hole (slate roof too, not a lot of fun). He was really pissed. The next night we also found ourselves on the roof of a fire building. I managed to get a hole cut that night. I thought I had redeemed myself, but to the day he retired I don't think he ever really forgave me for that first night.
Hey Bobby,

One thing that I was taught in one of my first EMS classes was NOT to wear my helmet while working on a patient. Just think about that poor SOB that you just strapped to the board with his/her hands at their sides. You bend down to secure that last strap and your helmet topples off your head and cracks them in the bridge of the nose. I think this scenario would require a lot more butt kissing then the one that you described.

Of course if you are in the car still or in the hazard area disregard the previous paragraph.

J Mac
Its still a Hazard area as far as Im concerned until We are back on the rig and heading back to the station.. and I always have My chin strap fastened and have never had My helmet fall off in 5 years of Fighting Fire or Rescue.

Sgt King
Hey Bobby,

My post wasn’t meant as a knock and I’m sorry if you took it that way. At any time that you are concerned for your personal safety you should have your helmet on.

As far as you and your officer having the same idea at the same time I don’t see that as a bone head move.

J Mac
Hooah
Hmmmm embarassing stories hmmmmm. There are so many that I don't know where to start on my end. My first time taking the stretcher out (my first shift with the squad) I pulled it out of the ambulance and in front of tv cameras, firefighters, police, and other EMS personnel it dropped on my foot and I ended up not being able to get the stretcher back up.

Three weeks after that I didn't know my partner had tossed the radio on the seat and was leaning back. We heard music over the radio. "What idiot is doing that?" my partner stated and then looked down when he heard his own words. "Um move your butt," was all he said.

See you're not the only one. Sometimes we just have those days.
That EMS Supervisor (stupervisor) should have had a helmet on. After all, we wear helmets to protect our head from impacts while operating at an emergency scene! He of all people should know that. If anyone made a "bone head" move, it was him.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service