SHOULD EVERY RURAL F.D USE BRUSH TRUCKS OR JUST STILL USE ENGINES

Views: 2644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

my guess would be you could use one or both. A small utility body brush truck isn't going to make a piss load in snows differance at a building fire, and a Class A isn't too agile in the woods. I am sure the companies that have a mixture in district will have the appropriate vehical specs for their own purpose.
We used to just run an engine to brush/woodland fires but we bought a brush truck and it saves a lot of wear and tear on firefighters having to hike to get to the fires. ours carries 250 gallon of water, booster reel and connections for a 1 3/4 and 2.5 lines off of it we also have a 2.5 intake. make sure you get a good set of mudder tires on it and a lift kit not to high though because it will get top heavy with water weight. but back to topic depending on the size of the brush/woods if you have a medium to large area then i would suggest it and also look at your run sheets and see how many fires you have. but i was glad when we got ours because it will help get you where your engine will not reach.
We have a brush truck in the station. It is great. We just approved the purchase of a new one, as ours is a 68 kiaser, and it is getting very hard to find parts for it.
Depends on resources avialable to your department, we are lucky enough to have state forestry dozers (4) of them near by. We still have some Departments they just live to run thru the woods and brush to put out a brush fire in 100 degree weather. I prefer the idea of protecting exposures and then if my hose line will reach it put it out other than that let the dozers plow a line, thats what THEY get paid to do. My volly station runs 3 brush trucks still to this day, 2 1968 Kaisers and a 2005 F-350 4x4. I have seen departments run a brush truck out into a broome straw field or kudzoo field for those of you down south and loose control of the fire and have another department show up with an engine and pull a 1.75" line and just wihip a fire of the same size in seconds.
We have a Brush Truck and an engine at my Vol. fire dept we usually use a combination of the both depending on the scene. Last saturday we used the brush truck to fight a fire in the woods and used the engine for exposure protection for the nearby home. All a dept can do is use the resources they have avaliable to them so I say use whatever you have to the best of your ability.
we have sold our old brush truck and have one engine set up for accidents and brush calls, but once we get our new engine we want to get a new brush truck
we take our mini-pumper/brush truck on brush fires 1st & then we take our pumper for extra water.we have a brush tk at st.2 also.good reason to take the pumper is for strucure protection.that is so our brush tks can take to the woods & go to the fire.
I live in florida and In my department we us 2 ton 6x6 Miltary trucks as brush trucks. There's no way we could even use our engines to fight brush fires. We roll out the door with an engine and brush truck when every we get a brush fire. The only thing our engine is used for is to protect structures and fill the tank on the brush truck and cool down hot spots on the side of a rd. I think any dept. that runs brush fires in rual areas should have a brush truck. You need to be in the heart of the fire putting it out not waiting for the fire to come to you and your engine.....
In Franklin Township stations 43-1, 43-3, 43-4, and 43-5 have brush trucks except the company I'm with 43-2. We have a rescue engine (43-23) for extrication, brush, haz-mat, natural disaster, man made disaster (along with 43-24) and everything else engines are used for. 43-23 is set up for brush and all that good stuff. Plus we have a guy whos with the NJFFS with his brush truck next to the station.
I volunteer in Rural Maryland. My station is equipped with two brush units that are both set up for 1 inch hand lines and a 1.75 inch short-shot pre-connect. Theory being that we can run through the brush fire area and get the water to where the fire is, easier than dragging a hose line through the field from an engine on the side of an access road.

We are pretty fortunate down here as we run three engines, a truck and a tanker out of my station - All Volunteer. We have plenty of water supply to refill brush truck tanks and the equipment we may need for other types of emergencies.

Having been on several brush fires this year alone, and even a fireworks stand-by, brush trucks are indispensable in a rural application. We are largely non-hydrant, so water shuttles or relays often tie up valuable resources.
Here there are some stations that have Brush trucks (about half) the other have others specialties. Spokane does have some fields and wildland interface areas. Engine response with a nomrmal Type 1 pumper works for most fires and they put on quite a show fow the news cameras with the stinger and all. But really Brush trucks allow up close and personal service for most all wildland incidents. We respond both engines from each station when it is a wildland fire (and that station has both). Officer and Driver take type 1 engine, and FF takes the brush truck (depending on the station and officer.) Besides brush trucks are set up to fight a different fire i. e.; lighter equipment, hand tools, fire shelters, etc. If you loaded all the equipment for every fire on 1 truck an 80,000lb ladder would not be enough. Hence the different types of engines, trucks, medic units, rescue units, etc... If you have the resources to diversify do so, if not work towards it.
My Station Has 2 Brush Trucks 2 Engines 1 2000gal Tanker and 1 3000gal Tanker Its Good To Have Brush Trucks Especially For Areas Engines Can't Get To. We Roll Both Brush Trucks And Either An Engine or the 2000 Gal Tanker For Back Up Water Supply I Would Take Brush Trucks Over And Engine Anyday Just Think About If You Have A Structure Fire At The Same Time As A Brush Fire Thats Gonna Suck If You Have Brush Trucks You May Not Have To Take An Engine or Tanker And You Have Those Apparatus Ready To Respond To Stucture Fires

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service