Engineco913 has posted a Seatbelt Pledge that YOU, my fellow Nation-ites, can sign.

No, you don't have to wear a gown that opens up the back

Yes, you can keep your shoes on

No, it won't hurt, it won't even pinch a little

No, it doesn't come in different colors

But yes, it DOES come with side effects......a healthier and whole fire and EMS service; the members of which will be more likely to go home to their loved ones if they adhere to the promise they are about to sign.
Here's the link:
http://www.firefighternation.com/forum/topic/show?id=889755%3ATopic...

There are less than 100 signatures on this pledge, and I can't for the life of me fathom why?
There should be THOUSANDS of signatures by now. Save your brothers and sisters, save yourselves, and sign it.

What are you waiting for? To come home in a box?

Views: 622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amazing concept. In the 15 seconds saved by putting the seat belt on they are saving their own life should something occur. As Guinness beer would say.... BRILLIANT!!!!
One of our neighboring fire departments had a fatal crash today. One person, one vehicle, one dead.

He was driving on a straight stretch of road when his car went into the ditch, perhaps hit a culvert then flipped twice. The driver was ejected through the roof. No seat belt.

Although not a firefighing LODD, it's just another example of how seat belts can save lives.

And, a way to go BUMP.
bump
Maybe there aren't as many signatures because this is already a law? What good is a pledge going to do? I'll bet 99.99% of those who sign already wear their belts, so there is no change. I wear my belt 100% of the time, my crew does the same, my dept. is probably 98% perfect (I'd say 100 but we can't see everyone at once). Why sign a pledge that has no teeth? What you need to do is convince those who don't belt up to change. How? Rules, laws and enforcement. If they won't do it for themselves, their families and their brothers, then you have to hit them where it hurts...the wallet. Fines and true disciplinary action will work, if the top brass has the brass!
Antique....do you subscribe to www.thesecretlist.com ? If you do, you'll know that "compliance" is a joke.....I get an email every week (sometimes every day) featuring the LODD du jour, which not surprisingly involves lack of seatbelt usage.
Utterly preventable deaths involving otherwise intelligent people.

The ultimate purpose of the pledge is to bring it forward to lawmakers to express our concern that firefighters are dying every day all over the wonderful country of ours because we think we're invincible.

You're spot on regarding the fact that we need seatbelt laws (of the enforceable variety) to include ALL emergency responders...across the U.S..
And by the way...in my state (N.Y.) there IS no seatbelt law for emergency responders. Yes, we know....it's stupifying, isn't it?
We know that there is no seat belt law in many of the states.

We know that 99% of the people who sign already do.

We know that there will be some that won't belt up regardless of legal status.

Unfortunately we also know that firefighter LODDs due to not wearing belts will continue to happen.

Until the day arrives when we have made believers out of every FF, EMT and LE individual, there will continue to be LODDs. We can only do the best we can.

And that is leadership by example. We sign because we pledge that we and ours will always buckle up, regardless of circumstances. By spreading this on, person by person. we will ultimately achieve the goal. Legislation and enforcement may speed the process up but making it become a way of life will be more effective.

what he said.

Thanks for your usual eloquence Joe.
Antique, As I'm sure you know, there is a difference between "I Pledge", and "I Agree To Comply". For it to have teeth, "I agree to comply", would be the statement to make, (someone elses teeth that is). For it to have true meaning and be enforcable by our piers, "I pledge", fits the bill rather nicely. That makes it your teeth and mine. For someone to say there will be a fine if we get pulled over or in an accident is one thing, for someone to say I'm not pulling out of this barn untill I know you are tied down is something entirely different. To hell with compliance, (I've always been a non conformist anyway), how about we just do what we know is right.
Like any pledge, it is only as strong as the person making it.
I look at this no differently than, oh, say, marriage vows. We promise to "love, honor and cherish" our spouse, but you really "don't have to". But marriage seems to work better when you do. At least, according to the 50% who haven't divorced.
Weird, huh?
TCSS.
Art
Art, is that 50% of first marriages or second? LOL

Otherwise, agreed!
No, that would be the other 50% who didn't marry, but are living together!
Now who's the smarty pants?
TCSS.
Art
strap it on

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service