Our District just received a $ 51,000.oo grant, where about 40K will be dedicated to new extracation equipment. We are currently using Hurst and are overall pleased but open to suggestions. I would love to hear pros and cons on other manufacturers and experiences, both good and bad. Tip, tricks and "cant live without it" tool ideas are all welcome.
As always, Stay Safe!
Mike

Views: 1781

Replies to This Discussion

Well guys here we go again!!! The famous TNT tool company is going to try to fix are tools AGAIN for the fourth or fifth time, I kinda lost track. And still they do not operate like they say they will. Thats why they have a life time warranty it takes them the life time of there tools to fix them!!!!!! Maybe I can respond to everyone with good news that they might work this time but it seems doubtfull this will happen. This is why we are looking for other bids to REPLACE these fine tools with something that WORKS and are DEPENDABLE. Lets see if TNT will REFUND our money so we can get something that WORKS???
I take it you don't like TNT? :-)
AC Cook. Yes the pump is a simo and yes TNT knows of the problem and they DO NOT KNOW themselves what is wrong with their own stuff. They have been passing most of the blame to pierce for installing what they told them to on the fuel tank. I talked to the guys that installed the fuel pump and they showed me that TNT left wires that where not grounded and where just left hanging taped together. They even stated that they did a half a**ed job at that. They also did a half a**ed job of running the hydralic hoses to the reels. If they where to long they just made loops and left them hang. As you can tell they are a very professional operation. This is why we are having all of this trouble. The stuff is unreliable and undependable. THE STUFF JUST DOESN'T WORK
No I Don't. They have failed in almost everything that we have done with them.
Caleb, have you tried letting someone else cut through a steering column with a hydaulic cutter while you sat in the driver's seat? If you're not willing to take that risk, you might think twice about subjecting patients to that same risk.
Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro Holmatro

They r the only UL LISTED TOOLS on the market they r the best i have used almost every tool on the market and u cant bet them the small and medium tools cut spread and pull at 68,000 psi the big ones do it at 218,000 psi. Hurst does it all at 5,000 psi holmatro will do extrication underwater i know from having to do it no other tool on the marked will and theres only one hose to hook up which is pattened for like the next 15 years no one else has it they r light weight and easy to use. You cant bet them i have been doing this almost ten years and im only 26.
UL listing is meaningless to hydraulic rescue tools. What counts are the tool's design, blade hardness relative to the hardness of what's being cut, and NFPA compliance.

Comparing 30-year-old Hurst tools internal hydraulic pressure (5,000 PSI) to Holmatro tools external mechanical force makes no sense. The hydraulic pressure isn't what counts, it's how the tool converts hydraulic pressure to mechanical force. And...Hurst makes 10,000 PSI tools that are comparable to any on the market.

We just got three new sets of Genesis tools, but the new Hurst was a close second, and was the only other brand we seriously considered.

The Holmatro Core technology has a major problem - you can't inspect the pressure hose, because it's buried inside the return hose. Both Hurst and Genesis have better hose designs - they have twin hoses that have single couplings. THe Genesis couplings can be hooked up or disconnected under pressure without using a dump valve, too.

All power hydraulic rescue tools will extricate underwater, too. The Curtis Power Hawk will not, but it's an electric tool, not a hydraulic tool.
The Holmatro Core technology has a major problem - you can't inspect the pressure hose, because it's buried inside the return hose.
An interesting observation Ben- not one I'd ever given any thought to, but certainly a valid point....
What counts are the tool's design, blade hardness relative to the hardness of what's being cut, and NFPA compliance.
Is there anything that the NFPA hasn't got their hands on? :-)

For those that have heard my rants on these forums, NFPA means jack over here in Oz, other than as a reference for consideration, but certainly not legally binding or anything similar....
Luke, That problem was why Holmatro didn't make the finals in our recent tool purchase competition. It came down to Hurst and Genesis, and Genesis won due to the motor overdrive feature, the boron-cutting ratings for the cutter and combitool blades, higher cutter cutting force, and lower cost.

The trigger design is a plus (no chance that a car part will operate the trigger if you cut into tight corners or if the tool moves laterally). The Hurst and Genesis designs both have twin-hose, single-coupling features that can be connected or disconnected without a dump valve.
Luke, NFPA ratings are important here, because they're the only national point of reference we have for a lot of fire-rescue tools, procedures, and design/performance standards.

I realize it's not important to you, so just ignore it.
Ben,have you tried the resQTek EWO tools. I favor them over even Holmatro. Not a big fan of Genesis.Tried 'em but not real impressed. T.C.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service