I have a question should 16 and 17 year old cadet's be allowed on large grass fire where multiple agency's have been activated ? This is some thing that we are having go on in Torrance County. We have a large active fire going on right now. So question is Cadet's or Trained Firefighter.

Views: 365

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i agree with dan they are good for getting equipment and stretching hose away from the fire thats it my dept's rule is they stay with the piece unless they are with a lt or above after the fire is under control
A 16 OR 17 YR OLD UNDER TRAIN AND TO YOUNG THEY ARE GOOD GETTING TOOL AND PULLING HOSE AND HELP FULLING AIR PACK
THE DOORKICKER
Are they under the direct supervision of an assigned senior firefighter or who?
Or do they get to do their thing as long as it doesn't include firefighting?
Art
lol damnthing!
If you have Cadets out there they had better be trained firefighters. Dosnt matter what the fire is, how many agencies are working it or how many people. If your out there you had better be trained. If not stay at the station.
First off I love the explorer program. BUT wild land fires are dangerous and being on scene and losing two friends will remind you of that. Stay safe
There definatley needs to be a governing rule for this. Certification is one, Department SOP's and SOG's in another. Then there is the question of capabilities. A small containable grass fire is one thing, but a large uncontained fire is even risky for a veteran. Either way keep it safe everyone should go home.
They can go, but not operate in the "hot" zone. They should always be assigned with a senior firefighter or officer and must be kept safe. These kids are great assets and our future, let's keep them safe.
Here in Kentucky, the Fire Commission will not let you even enter anyone under 18 in the training web-site. State law states that you MUST be 18 years old. Here the commission also carries the worker comp and death ins also. I agree there are some very well trained young people out there and we all know there are times that we could very well use them, but as a Chief or Officer do you want to talk the risk of them getting injuried on God forbid Killed...
What training do you have to need to put a grass fire out? Please, stay away from our grassfires, we don't want anyone with that attitude.
What training do you have to need to put a grass fire out? I understand that you are a junior, but you really need to get more training and learn that in the fire fire service there is never "just a grass fire or just a structure fire". Like I said in an earlier post I lost two friends to a forest fire in April of 99, they are not just something to play around with. On scene of a fire line officers have to much to worry about like weather conditions, crew conditions, endangered structures and many more variables. I know I wouldn't want to have to be the one to tell your parents that you was burned when a fire changed directions and trapped your crew. Please stay safe and learn as much as you can. Also when you start responding to wild fires please get proper PPE including nomex pants shirt and fire shelter.
I am kinda torn on this issue cause before the laws got very strict here at home I was fighting fire at age 16....so its hard for me to say what they can and can not do.

I think we have to involve our younger members becuase if we do nto start them young we may begin to lose interest in the fire service. But we can not let them roam freely without proper accountability and supervision. There is the dilema. I think some were in between balls to the walls and nothing is the right thing to do.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service