Jenny, you asked us to share some of the good things about being female firefighters... well, one of the nice things I've noticed here at school is that I have a bathroom all to myself!! (It's the LITTLE things in life you treasure...!) All kidding aside, I have been having a blast during my 240 program. I like being able to hang out with the guys, do the same job they do, and still be comfortable with being totally female while doing this job. I love the feeling of knowing that I CAN do a physically demanding job. For me personally, that IS a very rewarding goal/challenge.

I am in school with some awesome guys. They have helped me out tremendously, worked with me, and been willing to be friends. As long as I'm willing to try, work hard, take and make jokes, and never quit, I have never had a problem with anyone involved in the fire/ems field. I'm not sure which of you ladies said it best in another thread, but "Carry your load on your shoulder, not a chip." truly sums up how I try to act.

And... since this thread is *totally* me rambling and simply being in an AWESOME mood tonight... does anyone have a better way to drag a SAR drag dummy out of a building with a webbing strap using more than one hand/arm? Or any tips of the trade on how to start a chainsaw?!?! Other than being mechanically challenged (plus other issues) those are the main problems I've been running into.

So, ladies, have fun! Share your triumphs! Share your joys! Encourage us with your stories of why you love doing this job! Stay safe!!
Brittany

Views: 360

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks!

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service