Hey all. Asking for a little help. I’m thinking of typing up a proposal to my fire department to give us a choice in wearing full turnout gear or long coats and ¾ boots. We recently switched to the full turn out gear about 2 years ago. I along with a great number of members don’t like it, and not for the reason of tradition, it’s a matter of fatigue. I don’t think full turn out gear is bad. It does have its place. I just believe a choice would be nice.
So without going on for ever, does anyone out there know of any research or data I can use about firefighter fatigue or fatalities that may have been cause by overheating or over exertion in bunker gear. I have already have read Boston’s study on their issues (by the way, they have the choice). I also plan on visiting the NIOSH web site. If you have any other info, that would be great. Once again, I am not advocating not having full turn out gear, just the choice. Thanks for your time, be safe, stay low.

Views: 1033

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not very scientific, but having done both in my life, I prefer full turn-outs. I think the level of protection is far greater. I'd be interested in the studies also. FDNY use to have the boots and coats. Now it's full turnouts.
Paul,

To make it real simple, NFPA does not allow for the 3/4 boots and long coats anymore. It is only full turnouts that are allowed under NFPA standards.

FF Schoen
I agree. Chicago just switched two years ago. they are a home rule city, they dont always comply with NFPA. here is bostons research on the topic. http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/tr_02dm.pdf
Thats hard to believe that chicago just switched 2 years ago to full turnout's.................. Brian where you at, he's very close to Chicago maybe he can give us some help on this one.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service