(I'm assuming there's no doubt in a paid dept.)

I have always called ours "Chief". In the station, on the phone or if we meet at the grocery store. As in "Chief, can I do this?", or "Sure, Chief, I'll take care of it." And I say to other firefighters, "Hey, the Chief wants us to clean that." I call our two assistant chiefs "Chief" unless it's third person and I say "Car 2 wants that bay cleaned."

Anyway, the other day, one of our new 19-yr olds said to me, "Dave told us to do this", and I hear them go to him and say, "Hey, Dave, can I do this?" And it drives me crazy even though he never seems to care. Now I know a lot of the older guys knew the Chief when he was just young Davy and I give that some leeway. But it just seems to me that in an organization like a fire department, the Chief should ALWAYS be "Chief", and not Dave, until he's not Chief any more. I about bit my tongue in half not jumping on that young FF the other day.

So here's the question - is it just me? Is it just the unreasonable side effect of 22 years in the Army, and something my sore tongue will have to get used to or, just maybe, could I be on the right track?

Views: 401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our elected Brigade boss, well senior officer, is the Captain. We'll introduce him to visitors as 'The Captain'. Over the radio he'll be called ''Captain'. But for the rest of the time it's first names. On the fireground it's first names with us. We're pretty relaxed over here.

II'm ex Army, and here, a commissioned officer is 'Sir' (or Ma'am) and is saluted, a Warrant Officer is called 'Sir' (or Ma'am) but not saluted. Nobody else except civilians get's 'Sir' (or Ma'am). Hint, if any of you are in the military, and work with Aussies, do not call a Sergeant 'Sir'. Never.

Luke, what did you call your Controller after seeing that video?
Luke, what did you call your Controller after seeing that video?
We just dropped the word "Fat" !!!!!
Chickens! Our Captain stands about knee high to a Shetland pony, and we don't let him forget it either!
Since I have been in the business nearly as long as dirt has been on the planet, and my earlier mentors from before such time as rocks BECAME dirt, I will use officer's titles while on official business, on calls, over the radio, etc. I am addressed as "Chief" in kind. I do not mind if first names are used in informal situations, but we run a professional organization and believe in setting an example for the troops.

I have known my Deputy and Assistant Chiefs since we were youths. We will use first names informally, but always refer to each other as Chief (Name Here) when operating and on the radio. as well as in the station.

Respect and professionalism are contagious.
I use 'Chief' but I'm the type of buy that calls anyone I work for 'Boss' Most of the time, being the small town dept. that we are, everyone is on a first name basis unless on official business.

Its just the norm around here, as much as a fan of structural formality that I am, that facet of it just doesn't work with us.
round the Fd we call the chief "chief" the asst chief and bat. chief i call by name inless we are away from the fd and the asst chief becomes ass chief. on the radio i call the chief "1651" asst chief "1652" bat chief "1653" and around the fd most people call me captain smith on the radio its "1662"
I believe calling him Chief is the proper thing to do he has worked hard for that title.
Out of respect to the title and in the majority of FFs, I use Chief and I have 10 years on him. Does that new 19 year old call his Father Homer? If so then I know him and did not realize he was 19 already. OOhh! TCSS
I tell the young guys that if you need a whiye helmet to be chief then you don't need to be chief. Chief should be someone who has earned respect because I feel you don't give respect it's earned.

We've had chiefs who didn't earn the name chief anmd this year it's really bad. We had the chief resign last year and my brother the deupty moved up for 5 months. Everyone called him chief starting the day after the first chief resigned. People have continued to call him cheif and the new chief Rob which has caused issues.

My uncle who was chief for 25 years was always chief then about 10 years ago he started to become Uncle Tom to everyone. They did a memorial plaque for him and had to redo it because it said uncle Tom instead of Chief Bulah.
This response is from a chief. I have been chief of our small department for 23 1/2 years. Calling your chief, Chief is nothing more than showing respect where respect is due. My men calls me chief on the fire and or incident ground. At the station some do some don't. Outside the station never. This doesn't bother me one way or another. Its not that they don't respect me. We are a layed back department where all knows everyone there hole life. Some of my men I've known sense dippers age. From the reverse side I have men has known me as wet behine the ear firefighter. My point is. It's your location, It's your background, ect on how you may or may not feel about this. Its the way your chief may or may not be.

A question for all responses on this subject. As I, I am sure you all know chief's from other departments. How do you address them when you see them outside of firefighting capicity? I myself address them as chief even though they are close personal friends. It is out of respect. One chief to another. Once we meet it is first name bases. By the way men it doesn't really matter how you address them. Just curious.

Just my thoughts.
in ower dept we call our cheif by his first name in less he is you highschool prins then you call them by his last name
I think that it should have been left as 'Uncle Tom' Craig. He'd moved on from being called 'Chief', I think there was affection as well as respect in his new 'title'.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service