I was just wondering what peoples thoughts/department SOG's were on wearing bunker gear, ambulance crew/fire crew, on the scene of vehicle accidents. In my department's SOG's it states "Bunker gear is required for personal injury accidents", yet there are some who refuse to wear it when they respond on the squad(ambulance) because they have reflective vests or jackets. Me personally I wear my bunker gear and a refective vest no matter what truck I respond in.

Views: 4663

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our SOG/SOP's are that you wear your bunker gear on all accidents.
My thoughts are that sometimes (like 4 am calls to a dirt road) bunker gear isn't really necessary, however 5 pm calls to a busy intersection, gear should be worn
Bunker gear is worn by our members when they are working around the cars in the accident. If they are just directing traffic they wear a reflective jacket or vest.
Lots of sharp tools and lots of sharp edges on the vehicles; not to mention vehicle fluids, blood/mucous from victims. Turnout gear including head and eye protection a must.
If you are not in the hot zone and not engaged in traffic control (perhaps something the cops should be doing), then with the permission of the IC, you may return to the rig and remove your coat and helmet. However, you must stay in the rig.
There is a reason that there is reflective stripes on the gear. Day time or night time.
i could go either way here, as far as extricating the patient from the vehicle yes some type of protective gear should be worn. helmets are a must all the time, but if you are one of the medics perhaps waiting at the ambulance for the patient to be delivered to you wearing a simple reflective coat/vest is fine. Anything on scene should be reflective no matter what. But unless you are directly involved with the vehicle bunker gear is fine to wear but why not wear something lighter but still just as visible. Getting hit by a speeding vehicle your bunker gear is not going to provide any more protection than a bright jacket. But helmets need be worn
Our SOP is for everyone to wear full PPE at all MVAs. PPE generally is structure fire gear, however a few years ago we outfitted EMTs with lighter weight Nomex gear with crosstech vapor barrier for protection against BBPs. The lighter gear consists of jacket, pants and rescue helmet. It makes climbing into and inside of a car less of a chore, although I find myself just staying with my regular bunker gear.

Those directing traffic wear reflective vests in warm weather, but in winter we encourage them to suit up in their bunker gear.

We are thinking about allowing the extrication crew to wear lightweight gear similar to wildland firefighting suits. I'm not convinced that regular wildland gear will provide enough protection from sharps, but it would reduce the amount of heat stress on the crew.
Our SOP is all persons must be in full gear before we roll out the door. Most LODDs happen on just another routine call. We should not ever think it is just another routine call.
I like the way you think.
Kudos.
Everyone bunkers up if they enter the hazard zone. Alot of times the guys on the engine and truck will get the patient and bring them to the medics so they can work more comfortably in the back of the medic with no gear. But sometimes the medic is needed in the car for extended or difficult extrications.

I personally wear my gear on EVERY call except for an ems call (and even some of those if its at a dump or construction site). We ride with only 3 and it is extremely inefficient for a guy to be standing around in street clothes on a scene. So even if I am driving I will put on my bunker pants to drive to the call then put my coat and helemt on once I arrive.
as i was getting ready to reply to this, we got toned out for a 1 car mvc rollover on a back woods road. As usual i put on full turnout gear because there was possible entrapment. Upon arrival the patient was out with minor injuries. Fire police had traffic shut down coming both ways, so it brought up a thought to me, another variable added into play. yes some type of gear should be worn at all times. among the crews that were up there maybe 10% of everyone had some type of gear on, whether it be reflective or otherwise... we need to take the precautions to be sure we are visible. That is after all the big deal
ours are full ppe on all alarms no exceptions
Thank you to everyone! I'm glad it's not just me that feels bunker gear should be worn by everyone on vehicle accidents. Besides the stupid people driving by the scene not paying attention to you, there's also the fluids, glass, ect. on the scene.

Stay safe and have a Happy New Year!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service