I remember reading an article in Firehouse magazine about this a few years ago.

Let's say the unthinkable happens. Who will be the one to clear out your firehouse locker? If it's your spouse or significant other, is there anything in there that you wouldn't want them to see?

My intention here is not to create controversy, but to generate food for thought. Stay safe!

Views: 889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

well Brian 1st off Yes I have an assigned Locker ( actually 2 assigned lockers) and I'm admittedly a pack rat, My only fear should anything happen to me is that someone will hurt themselves clearing them out... Not long ago, I gained the rep of being able to produce "something" that would work in nearly any firehouse situation, from uniform needs ties or whitegloves, shoe polish, apparatus stuff rags and wax ( issued), to Good seasons salad dressing and other condiments for various meals to spare nuts and bolts and stuff like that .lol paint brushes, "stuff to plaster on someones' locker when they did something hairbrained ... as well as VHS of numerous shift jobs, photos, etc etc.. But please remember I've been living there since 1990, hell I even have a non approved leather helmet that was given me when ihe retired In 1996..lol a small personal fan , sowhen the AC isnt working forthe first two months of summer I can actually sleep Thankfully I donthave room for any "bad stuff"...lol
If whoever survives me can cut through the mega-hardened armor locks and defeat the secret interior security system, they can have whatever they find.

And...they can remove the dying batteries from the 17 different smoke detectors with 9V's of different ages.
I'm planning for about 6 months of different smoke detector warning chirps bugging the survivors if they can't figure out how to get the locker open.

Once they finish removing the smoke detector batteries and restoring their sanity, they can have:

the spare overhaul thongs
the valet key to the 1947 American LaFrance 700 series engine
the six spare sets of irons
my shove knife collection
my Hurst tool coupling collection
my "Surf Jamaica" snow globe

AND...the photo of me with JFK, Elvis, and Amelia Earhart on the beach at Howland Island, circa 1986.
A few pics, a Couple changes of clothing, toothbrush and some showering stuff. Anybody wanna come check it out feel free to I got some awsome incredible hulk superoo's size XXL for when I transform.
If it happens that by Gods will I sacrifice my life for another, I will like my Chief clean out my locker for my wife and give my helmet and number to my son.
easy, should i leave this world and my locker needs to be cleaned out then they will find the following.
Gear Locker: A set of beat up back-up gear, a couple "extra" leather helmets, some more than likely dirty uniforms, my wallet, my proper wedding band (i also have it tattooed on), some batteries, and dvds
Locker Room Locker: Dress uniform, extra uniforms, extra underwear, fire service books, stank-a** socks, candy, sunflower seeds and about 12 pictures of my wife, dog and family.
Keep what you want private hidden away. Your locker is far from hidden away. But on the other hand, if your an honest person, whats there to hide?
well done my friend, well done
This actually happened at my fire station... One of our engineers collapsed and died at the station of a massive heart attack. Very sad. What was sadder was all the things around the station that were things that Bob had left us to remember him by.

Prior to his death, I never had any reason nor would have looked in his lockers anyway. It's just cool to invade someone's personal space. When it came time to deal with cleaning out his locker, a sort of shrine made out of beach things was there in one of them and I really felt as if I was disturbing something special.

I had a responsibility to handle this but in this situation. I made contact with one of the firefighter's close friends who worked at another station. He respectfully pulled everything out of his locker, in private. Bob's things were given to his family.

Has this changed my perspective on what I keep in mine? Nope. The fire station that I work out of was built for us by the Chevron Corporation in conjunction with a large gas oil plant that we protect. With the station costing well over a million dollars twenty years ago now, you can bet that we are talking some significant numbers when it comes time to discussing lockers. As a result, I keep things in lockers using categories.

In my dorm room, I have two lockers, one for beddiing when I go on days off and the other for extra uniforms. We have an open locker space in the apparatus room where we store out PPE. The kitchen has a bunch of small cubies for personal food and the Captain's office provided me a single drawer. I find it easier on myself if I keep things divided up and kept in their place.

Oh yea, there is a hyphen in anal-retentive... ms
im a exploerer and we have lockers,

i have bunker gear, some duck tape and work gloves
Pic of my wife and daughter, a bible, extra pants and shirt, deodarant, and an air filter for my truck I cant remember to put it on.
The only thing in mine is personal hygiene stuff, I would never think of keeping anything other than what is needed for work or cleaning up.
Though I am no longer active, I have containers of memorabilia from my service time.
I have gone through it twice to make sure that there is nothing that will cause my family or my fire department any embarrassment. That would include the old firefighter flames calendars.
TCSS.
Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service