The other day, some of us were spit-balling ideas and wondered how we'd handle an extrication scenario involving an armored car. I was unable to find any information on the subject. The only thing I can think of is to contact an armored car company & see if they feel like sharing.

Does anyone here have any experience with doing an armored car extrication? Thanks in advance!

Views: 3399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

how about a prisoner van with a cage inside and 7 prisoners cuffed and shakled

that was quite a challenge
I've never had any experience but that sure is a good question. I'd call your local bomb squad to see if shape charges would work with out killing the occupants.

Just an Idea.
Vehicle extrication using explosives? What could possibly go wrong? LOL
I don't think you will have any luck with the car company. That would be like telling people how to break into their vehicles. I have heard that if they get into any problems they call their dispatch and they take it from there.
Thanks Ed, that was a great article! Lots of good information. I still may contact the armored car company and see if they can add anything. I'd love to get an obsolete vehicle to practice on, that'd be one heck of an extrication drill!
Wow,
That had to be quite the challenge as you said firechief. Did you have any problems with cutting apart the roof section where it was attached to the hardened posts and metal cage area?

Thanks,

FF Schoen
God Bless and Never Forget
it opened like a can just had to make about 12 cuts to fold it open. amkus did the job we got five out alive. the 2 on the rear seat didnt make when it end over ended the rear hit once
WOW, Brian just when I've thought my department has trained and worked on every type of vehicle we could imagine, you come up with this, this is a great topic, keep us informed on what you find out:)
On that "other" fire website, I was invovled in some discussions and did some research on these vehicles and posted it into the forums (now archived) but still accessible here-
http://forums.firehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-19589.html
that looks like it was a challenge, holy crap...
I know the armored car company I used to for had vents that you could open a liitle on the roof. That could be a good area to get a purchase point. The vents are not big by any means, but big enough for a purchase point. Also, if the vehicle is on its roof or side, the floor is steel diamond plate. The doors are locked on the inside with bolts and bars. They are locked tight and the gun holes are for show from the outside. They are sealed inside. Can't speak for other comapnies, just the one I used to work for.

As far as getting a company to share info with you, good luck. I asked the company this exact question and got the response that with the way the vehicle is built it is unlikly to have an entrapment.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service