I have noticed that a lot of departments don't wear air packs during overhaul . There is a lot of dangerous fumes still present at that time . What does your department require ?

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We've all been at fault for that, I guess it's just being a man and getting a little smokey when the fire's out, but your right. My department is very aggressive and we'll not take the packs off tell the smoke is gone and fans are set up in openings to make sure fresh air is all around, but we've got our days.
The fire brigades over here are moving towards the use of P2 masks during overhaul...
Personally, I don't doff until I am clear of the structure. Cancer be damned, it doesn't take but one small whiff of phosgene to ruin your day!!
I'm currently going through FF1 training we are suppose to wear out air packs during overhauls.
We are required to be on air until the Safety Officer takes a gas meter in and determines the CO levels are below 30 ppm.
We sould all wear SCBA's but we dont because by the time we get to that point were tired and wore out. At my dept. we might get 6 people to a structure fire if were lucky. We are suppost to were them for overhaul but we dont all the time.
Exactly, like Cyanide gas...who wants to breath that in? Not me. It causes most of the fatalities of firefighters AFTER they return home hours after the fire. Its not worth it. I will take everyone laughing at me over me getting cancer or worse. Stay Safe
SCBA's will be worn during overhauling, until the air quality can be sampled and CO levels are within normal limits.
In theory after the fire is knocked, we'll give the building a few minutes to breath. Wearing a pack for overhaul is totally optional. Normally brothers don't wear a pack though.
Does your department have any SOGs or SOPs on this? As a Safety Officer for my department I have to complain to get them to where there Airpacks. We currently do not have any SOPs regarding the use of airpacks so they do whatever they want and it is a constant battle! I would like to have anyone that have SOPs, I would like them Emailed to me @ concordiafire@hotmail.com

Thanks for your time.
WELL THE DEPTS THAT DOESNT WHERE THE SCBA PROBABLY DOESNT DO MUCH SCHOOL TRAINING OR DOESNT CARE , BUT OUR DEPTS PRACTICES IT . WE KNOW THAT THERE IS A LOT OF DANGEROUS OR HARMFUL FUMES FROM CONTENTS BURNING-CRAZING NOT TO WHERE EQUIPMENT PROVIDED KEEP UP THE GOOD PRATCICE, KEEP WEARING YOURS BECAUSE THERE ARE A LOT OF FOLLOWERS OUT THERE. THE ONES NOT WEARING THEM WHEN NEEDED WILL EVENTUALLY CATCH ON. DAVE
It is clearly written in an SOP that we were our BA's until no threat remains, which means when we are doing fire watch we can take it off. I wear mine at any time in a hot zone, or what was a hot zone. I'm not alone, but some won't wear it even in a smoky atmosphere. I have a child who wants her mother to come home and doesn't need to take care of me when I'm on my death bed (not until I"m 98 anyway). Not only do I do it for me and my health, but I do it for her.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service