My dept. is taking bids on a new fire truck with cafs system , I would like to here all the pros and cons of the systems. I want to here from anyone who has ever used it or seen it used,is it worth extra expense ?

Views: 473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey jeff, I did up a little piece on Cafs the other day, must have been lost in the shuffle. Heres the link instead of me retyping it all out again LOL. Buy it, it is beyond worth it, especially in areas without hydrants. You require less water, so it lasts longer, plenty of time for mutual aid to run a few tankers to the scene.

http://www.firefighternation.com/forum/topic/show?id=889755%3ATopic...
hi there cheif,
on most of the new fed rigs they have a CAFS system, personaly I LOVE them we use them alot for back firing operations and to treat houses because the foam stays on the ground and you get the penitration u want. there are a few things about them and its mainley the servicing on them i cant tell you much about that because we dont deal with that kind of stuff. here is a good sight to read more about them...http://www.cafsinfo.com/ it pretty much gives you the pros and cons of the CAFS sysetm good luck!!
ENOP Shane Bishop
Hi Jeff....We went the route to CAFS about a year ago....its like a new age ONCE YOU TRAIN WITH IT...We had doubts at first but now I think we have all aboard....We had an Amish house fire with 2 upstairs bedrooms involved...took exactly 92 gallons of water for the fire and mop-up....Then we had a log cabin with one end fully involved.....that one took 312 gallons of water....it will cut water usage to about 1/5th of what you are used to. The big thing is to swallow your pride and ask departments that are using it now for some advice....too much pressure and you can actually fracture the bubbles in the foam....don't bother with the mega-expensive foam nozzles either...we found that straight tips work best....We even used it to wash vehicles a few times to get used to it and to try different settings...Hey its actually high concentrates detergent....Good luck.....I'm sure you won't be sorry.....By the way....Our truck is set up with a darley pump....2000 gal/min..........
JEFF YOU MAY HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT YOUR SYSTEM BY KNOW BUT I WONT TO TELL YOU YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THE CAFS SYSTEM WE HAVE A RESCUE TRUCK IN MY DEPARTMENT WITH A SMALL CAFS UNIT ON IT BY SNUFFER ITS GREAT ON CAR FIRES AND GREAT ON HOUSE FIRES THAT IS NOT ALREADY TO FAR GONE BEFORE YOU GET THERE.
A GOOD POINT WHEN YOU CAN SAVE A HOME OR STRUCTURE YOU COUSE VERY LITTLE WATER DAMAGE IF ANY. LESLIE CO HIGH SCHOOL GYM COUGHT ON FIRE AND HUDEN FIRE DEPT REQUESTED US TO BRING OUR CAFS SYSTEM TO TRY TO HELP CUT DOWN ON THE WATER DAMAGE AND IT DID VERY LITTLE WATER DAMAGE BECOUSE THEY HAD TO USE SOME WATER WHEN THEY ARRIVED ON SCENE. HAVE ANY QUESTION GIVE ME A SHOUT
If you are specifying a truck with a CAFS, you'll have fewer problems than trying to retrofit one later. Worth the extra expense? Definitely. With the right training and utilization, it will save property, and cut your water consumption by 2/3. But it is NOT the magic cure-all for every situation.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service