Hello all,

I am in search of a copy of the 7 steps of pumping. I remember my Pumps instructor years ago using this method to help us remember the steps and he had a nice card that had the steps printed on it. I have some newer members in my department that I would like to start getting them familiar with pumps and the process before they start taking their driver operator courses and this would be a big help for me and them if anyone can help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Views: 5495

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When you find the "7 steps" please share them here. I look forward to seeing them. Undoubtedly we can all benefit from that. Thanks.

Not sure this is what you’re looking for, but these are seven “steps” I follow when I’m driving.  Once parked, I try to perform steps 1 – 6 within one to one and one-half minutes.

1. Drive safely to scene and park appropriately (pull past or just short)
  2. Put engine in pump
  3. Pull “Tank to Pump” lever
  4. Pull designated line/appliance
  5. Charge designated line/appliance
  6. Set pressure
  7. Pull and charge second line (if needed) / throw ladders / set out extra bottles / get fan out, etc.

These steps don't include knowing pump pressures, GPM for nozzle and home types, etc.  That should be part of #6 above or training before pumping.  Our primary target pressure for the typical 200' of 1 3/4" handline is 150psi.

This is what I have always been taught

1. Proper gear (i.e. drive or what ever gear the truck pumps in)

2. Open tank to pump valve

3. Check lines--what has been pulled for use

4. Charge lines

5. Check changeover--pressure or volume

6. Build pressure--proper pressures on lines

7. Set pressure relief valve

i took some time and asked a few "old guys" i knew and came up with nothing.Now that 'im an "old engeneer guy" myself, i thought about it and came up with some of my own along two tracks; "being a driver" and "pumping" or operating a vehicle

As a driver

1- Insure your vehicle and equipment is fully operational (full fuel tank, full water tank, all equipment working)

2- Insure everyone is wearing seatbelts and operate your vehicle in a safe manor (you cant go to work until you get there)

3- Position your vehicle safely and according to your departments SOP...leave room for the ladder, ambulances must park away from the scene-(they can walk in)

4- Have equipment redy for use, (you know they are going to need ladders so have the rack down)

5- Prepare for the unexpected because it will happen (if you're in the collapse zone, tell operations)

6- See to your crews comfort-"fresh ice and water in the cooler- AND a pack of red solo cups, they are gonna drink and dump some on their heads"- "A.C. cranked up and doors closed in the engine for returning crews" OR an electric fan and a short stack of buckets to sit on helps too

7-Account for everything before leavibg the scene

For Pumping

1- Safely getting there and positioning WILL determine the outcome of the fire

2- Laying in sucks because packing hose sucks and if you have to lay in, the shorter the better (friction loss is your emeny)

2- Know your pump and what it can and cannot do "meaning dont let your ego or company pride get you into trouble

3- Position is everything

4- If you are the first due, you get everything you need

5- If you are the second due and not assigned to a task, backup the first due engineer (he or she will appriciate it) 

6- (contrary to popular belief) the deck gun comes off and has a base you can take to where it needs to go

7- See to you crews needs

hope that was what you were looking for

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service