I just found out that we were awarded a grant for $24,000 to replace all the hose and nozzles on both engines. Right know we have 2 - 1 3/4" cross lays and 1- 2 1/2" cross lay. When i applied for this grant we thought we would go to 2" attack lines.

I keep hearing we won't like the 2" lines. I would guess some of you are using 2" hose so; Whats the good,bad and ugly of 2" hose?

Views: 2327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great way to go. More wet stuff for the red stuff. We have two inch. All good no bad.

depending on what your main response area is. we have 3 1 3/4 crosslays with a rear 2 1/2 preconnect. I find that the 1 3/4 crosslays are easier to move in a residential home and a 2 1/2 is better suited for commercial. look at your staff how physical are they? do they tire out easily? if so a 1 3/4 might be easier with the less weight.

The last time someone said trust me i ended up with a daughter! Lol!

Zachary, I really don't care so much about how easy it is to move. I'm more concerned with the extra cost. Not that the cost is a big deal either. Does the 1/4" make that big of a difference and does it kink as easily as 1 3/4". I'm going to buy Akron adjustable gpm nozzles. My guys are all physically fit. Most are over 40 and 20 to 70lbs overweight so they shouldn't have a problem humping around 2" hose.    

My # 1 POC FD has used 2 inch hose for over a decade.  We use Key Nitrile Rubber hose in 100 foot lengths with 1 1/2 inch couplings.  The nozzle we use is an Elkhart Break apart with the combination tip being a 200 gpm at 75 psi backed up by a 1 1/4 inch slug tip.  With the combination tip we underpump it to get 160 gpm at 55 psi at the nozzle, we can of course flow 200 gpm at 75 psi, or we can go to the slug tip and flow 300 gpm at 42 psi at the tip. 

We don't have any other size of attack line and this has worked out great for us.  We normally have 3 on the line but it has been oved and flowed many times with 2 people.  For our situation it works great and I highly recommend it.  Personally though I would go with a low pressure nozzle or smoothbore or an adjustable gallonage nozzle. 

We are going with a breakaway nozzle. We have TFT's now but they are over 15 years old. Thanks Don.

How is 70 pounds overweight physically fit?

Never used it and hope we never do.  We use 1 1/2" and I love it.  Works great for aggressive attacks which is most of our fires.  Some people don't understand how much you can do with a smaller line.

Here is a video I've posted on this site before.  Two 1 1/2" hand lines were able to knock down a pretty big fire.  If you watch the video all the way through, you'll see the quick deployment assisted in saving part of the house.  This fire takes place in our neighboring department of Prince Georges County, MD just outside of Washington, DC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JzpFBdUGE0&list=UUeJGHJ8DjjbxI...

Captnjak, I was joking.

Really depends on how aggressive your initial attack is I guess, If you are driving right in on the seat of the fire with a 1 3/4 line with a good pump op I would say it is just as effective as your 2". That is taking a lot for granted though, just a simple spit ball example.  We have 2 1 3/4 cross-lays and a 2 1/2 preconnect on the back to use with either a smooth bore (if we are short staffed and need to blacken it down for more man power) or we have a blitz gun to cover an exposure with if needed on that big line.  One department in the area has some 5" supply line painted attack line...keep waiting to see that in use! 

I would also say depends on if your using just water or if you have a CAFS engine, we are moving up to the CAFS this year and one thing we have been warned about is the tendency for the lines to kink up on corners much easier than with the water filled lines. Just like everything in the fire service, give a little, take a little back..

We use 5" supply line and no CAFS. We usually have a good turnout for calls. With over 3/4 of my guys interior FF's we are pretty aggressive in our attacks sometimes maybe to aggressive.

I applied for this grant do to the fact every year we loose up to 150' of hose during hose testing.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to switch too 2" attack line's. 

'

I will check with our Engine Lt...think the line we use is neidner, something like that, cloth with the rubber liner, have only lost 1 50' section of supply line in the three years we have had it on the engine. It is expensive stuff made in Canada I think but works well, we are buying three full sets of everything for the Engine when we get the new one, including extra cross lay boxes so we can have one or two hanging while one is in service.  Send me an email if you want the contact details for the company should be able to get it tomorrow night at our board meeting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service