Just getting some input the ups and downs of using a 2 1/2 inch line as a IA attack line would like all input. thanks
AZFIREFIGHTER

Views: 1346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just to horrify many readers (except Thomas) we use 38mm (1.5 inch) for our internal attacks. Our career people use their HP reels - at least it's all I've ever seen them use. The larger 64mm (2.5 inch) is used for suround and drown only.

PS. Don't make the mistake of confusion HP (high pressure) reels with the reels used in North America years ago. Very different piece of equipment.
2 1/2 used to be the industry standard. Remember everyone have to use what works in their territory. We use 1 1/2 in preconnects on 95% of our structures. But every once in a while we have to pull the big guns out.
why would you want to use a 2 1/2 for an interior attack you would were yourself out just manuevering that line around thi interior of the structure. Its much easier to use the 1 1/2 inch or 1 3/4 inch line
here in the Philippines, we use 11/2 attack line, both interior and exterior. we only use 21/2 when the situation needs it. usually, 21/2 are used for water supply( engine relay ).
Guess we all have different ideas of what works, or wait, they all work! We use an 1½" CAFS for interior. Light, easily manuverable, less kinks to worry about, does the job and we don't have to pump the basement when the fire is out....
All depends on where you want to interupt the fire curve. Booster line will eventually catch up to the fire load as it starts to burn itself out.

Now for those who have sworn off 2.5" for any interior do you have enough manpower to simultaneously stretech 2-1.75" handlines (actually flowing together) plus another 1.75" backup to protect the egress? Wow your first due must be staffed better than most in the US.

IMO most 2nd and 3rd lines which are ordered to fight the devil because Command wants more GPMs tend to deviate away from the first line (different room or area) and never work totally together to increase the GPM vs BTU curve at the point in which the single 2.5" would have.

We still train with them, how often do we use them in real life? Not that often, just another tool in the toolbox but I would never swear them off.
As said by Oldcus, "Guess we all have different ideas of what works, or wait, they all work". Our procedures work pretty well. Most fires kept to room of origin.

Most of our career trucks have a crew of three, same for vol trucks on week days.
WOW, that's a little over kill, but to each their own,
as they say, whatever flots your boat.
We would normally use a 2 1/2 for an exterior attack.
We use 1 1/2 on every structure but we also pull the 2 1/2 usually for exterier but there have been times its made entry . We also have some structures that preplan 2 1/2 as the main interier attack line.
The 2 1/2" attack line is the most forgotten hose in the fire service. A friend of mine wrote a book the had a whole chapter about the use of 2 1/2" hose. If I went to the local department and to those people like Chief Sharp I would find the 2 1/2" hose more then likely covered in dust. You may want to look at your training records and see the last time this load was pulled for drill, not just at hose test time. If you don't train with this hose then someone will pull it at the wrong time, or not at the right time. It is just another tool in the fire attack system. This goes back to the folks that wanted to get rid of the booster line, with a lot of folks did. If you don't know how it works you are going to pull it at the wrong time, or better yet not pull it at the right time. If you look at the fire magazines you will find at least one picture where there is a lot of fire and someone has given a fire fighter a 1 3/4" hose to put out a well involved building. It is like the I.C. is making busy work for FF. I go back far enough to remember the Santa Rosa nozzle. Our department bought one and tried it out, it had a great fog pattern but the straight stream left a little to be desired. For a flammable liquids fire it could not be beat. The advertising showed a 12 or 13 year old child holding the nozzle. DO NOT CLOSE your mind to the 2 1/2" attack line it is a very useful tool.
Don't be too horrified Tony... Unless it's a commercial or a right off, we use a preconnect 1.75-inch line on all of our structure fires. The use of a 2.5-inch hose line, in my opinion, is great if you want to surround and drown, but if you are doing interior attack, it's hard enough to snake around the interior with a 1.75-inch line...

And, what's different about your hose reels?

CB
I have to agreee. Our department runs us through evolutions that involve scenarios where the 2 1/2 is practical and/or the best suited line for the attack. This has happened at any training session that I remember, where we are running through engine company operations.

I'd like to add that there is another discussion regarding basement fires, where I had posted that (pain in the butt as it may be to maneuver), stretching and using the 2 1/2 is what I was taught to pull if you absolutely must go into the basement to attack the fire.

I don't want to steer this conversation into that one with this comment, as that one already has it's own discussion. I just wanted to try to add the basement fire scenario to those that have mentioned commeercial structures, churches, etc. as ideal scenarios to use a 2 1/2 on the attack.

As always, just my opinion.
Stay Safe,
-Eric

Reply to Discussion

RSS

FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2019   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service