Just getting some input the ups and downs of using a 2 1/2 inch line as a IA attack line would like all input. thanks
AZFIREFIGHTER

Views: 1340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

2 1/2 used as a interior attack line? Why? If your looking for that much flow I question why your in there. Besides the sheer weight and lack of maneuverability with a 2 1/2 is a problem. We use 1 3/4 exclusively as a interior attack line. I we need more then we add more attack lines.
Well the Ass. Chief lives by a 2 1/2 and thinks it should be an interior attack line.. The $**& with that!!! You can not move a 2 1/2 it's to hard to handle and then try to pull it in a house around corners. I'm totally agianest it and not to metion as soon as we'd get in the door with a 2 1/2 we'd be out of water with only using dump tank operations and no hydrants. I have put alot of fire with 1 1 3/4 line before and it is so much easier to handle the smaller line in any condition. But I do sort of see the some people point on pulling the 2 1/2 put alot of water on it fast and hard and maybe standing outside a window, but not taking it inside.
I agree with Chief Sharp if you need that much water I question why you are inside the structure in the fist place. The problem I have with a 2 ½ as an interior hose is the structural damage it can cause, increasing the chance for a wall or ceiling collapse.
Are you trying to put the fire out or trying to knock the place down...? 2 1/2 is too clumsy and too heavy to manuever well....we almost exclusively use a 1 3/4.....We might run a 2 1/2 then put a siamese wye on it and run 2 lines of 1 3/4 off of that......If your Asst. Chief wants a 2 1/2 thats his call...but I hope he has a lot of man power available because he is going to wear out a lot of people.....Paul
We use 1 3/4" or I prefer 2" for an interior attack of a normal residencial structure. for more I think more lines would be better. For an exterior attack 2 1/2" is fine. Now for a abnormally bigger residence or commercial fire yes I might consider a 2 1/2" on the interior attack.
I have no problem with a 2.5" line for an interior attack. I know it is heavier and harder to manuever but to remedy that we have to strike additional alarms early into the incident. The NFPA recommendation for standpipe operations is 2-2.5" attack line with smoothbore nozzles(if we are connecting to a standpipe in a highrise, this qualifies as interior ops). Also, for a commercial structure, 2.5" is the line of choice. A few months ago, we had a pretty bad commercial going and we used a 2.5" and it worked beautifully(saved the building and no one got hurt). Also, for the larger McMansions, why not consider a 2.5" for the interior attack. I know many members here say that a 1.75" is a great attack line and if they need more water they will stretch additional 1.75" lines. This is perfectly fine, but with enough manpower, why not consider a 2.5" line? We have used 2.5" on residentials as well as 1.75" and it all comes down to situations. 1.75" has it's applications as does 2.5" and all I am saying is do not completely divorce the idea of 2.5" for interior attacks. It is not my intention to attack or offend anyone so please forgive me if I have.
We used this a year ago this week. One 2.5 with a two man engine crew, and one man on the tanker. We run shuttle ops due to lack of hydrants. It worked well, great stopping power and we were able to cool the first floor with the single line, then take the time to move in and get to the seat of the fire. The second engine on scene with three, pulled a 1.5 and did hit some hot spots.

It all depends on the structure and the fire size, and the crew that is on the line. Use what you prefer, and feel safe with.
damnthing? I really like the set up that you have for your apparatus and I am sure that your members have adapted to the extra weight and decreased manueverability. If I may ask, how many members on your 2" attack lines for interior ops?

you must be a contractor on the side... can you imagine opening up a fully charged 2.5-inch line inside a structure? so... where did you want holes in the walls and ceilings? I believe this would be considered, "Overkill"...

CB
DT,
I like the sound of that setup. I have only had the experience of using either an 1 3/4" or a 2 1/2". Our preconnects run much like your description for your engine, we do have another length of 1 3/4" though. I do like the power of the 2 1/2" even if it is a pain to maneuver. This is where I'm saying that I like the 2". From the sounds of it, we would easily be able to keep the same setup that we use. More power than the 1 3/4", more maneuverability than the 2 1/2", a nice happy almost medium.
We use a 2 1/2 Blitz line on every structure. it's our first pulled line every time..
on our two main attack pumpers we have 4 lines one 2 1/2 inch line for basically "surround and drown" we have three 1 3/4 inch lines two for main attack lines and one for a trash/car fire line. I'm on a volunteer department that cant always have enough people for a 2 1/2" line at the beginning of a fire. but the weight and maneuverability is the biggest thing with me not being able to move prohibits you from fighting the fire effectively.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2019   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service