I was surfing some blog posts and I thank Tiger and Lutan for their takes on the respect issue in the fire service. I am a firefighter who has been in the business (so to speak) for 15 years. I have not learned all there is to know, and I know I never will. I have taken strides to further educate myself through training in house, and also outsourcing for more technical programs my department may not offer. I have seen the fire service evolve in the short 15 years I have been a… Continue
Added by Engineco913 on March 24, 2008 at 4:45pm —
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear- period.
I tire of hearing of newbies and probies being ridiculed, questioned, demoralised and many other forms of "harassment" and "punishment" by the older generation in the emergency services.
There's simply no need for it. Resepct should be given from day one that the newbie walks into the firehouse.
I'd suggest that if the older generation firefighters (and other emergency service personnel) want… Continue
Added by lutan1 on March 23, 2008 at 2:00am —
I posted this on the Missouri Firefighters and Rural Firefighters groups in reply to the same question, how do we get more people into our department. I decided I would add it as on of my blogs also, sorry it is not about politics like my normal blogs.
From everything I have read it seems the National average for volunteer fire department membership is 0.3% of the population severed. That is to say for every 1000 people in your service area you should expect 3 volunteers. Some… Continue
Added by Rob Fritsche on March 22, 2008 at 10:00am —
Beads, vapor characteristics make step-wise cleanup vital
Since the early 1990s, U.S. environmental regulations have eliminated the development of mercury as a new product. Despite these changes targeting mercury use, alternatives have been slow to develop, and in cases such as precision measurement devices are not possible. As a result, mercury has been mined through reclamation and recycling processes.
Consumers can still find mercury in high-pressure sodium lamps, fluorescent… Continue
Added by Texas HazMat on March 21, 2008 at 12:13pm —
Well my first shift running on the Medic was quite easy because we only had two calls all night, and I know how that can change very fast. It was lots of fun and the crew I am assigned to they are great and am looking forward to this Friday night when I am scheduled to be on again. I was so hyped up last Saturday that I on;y got about 3 Hours of sleep and then got home and slept for maybe 30 more minutes before I had to go to the Station for Driver Operator class for the Engine Whew by the time… Continue
Added by John on March 19, 2008 at 8:50am —
First, if I have to explain who Private Benjamin is, you're clearly up past your bed time....move along and find something else to read, because no explanation is forthcoming.
The drill du jour (is it wrong that Tuesday nights are fast becoming my favorite night of the week?) this week was not really a drill per se; we had a company rep come in and demo the Holy Grail of SCBA's. The MSA (may we have a moment of reverent silence for the MSA) is, to my inexperienced eyes, the Cadillac… Continue
Added by Mary Ellen Shea on March 18, 2008 at 10:42pm —
I ambled into drill tonight fully expecting yet another evening of videotapes or chalk and talk.
Noticing that the projector and a/v system wasn't set up, I inquired "What are we doing tonight?"...
The 1st Asst. Chief grinned at me...."Hope you're feeling limber, we're playing with ladders and hoses tonight"
Here's the gig....I have what I like to call a "situational" fear of heights. There are certain circumstances that inspire that ooogy… Continue
Added by Mary Ellen Shea on March 17, 2008 at 4:01pm —
In the category of "If this job isn't dangerous enough", add the following to your list of early size up concerns: Houses set up to explode
Real estate agents were shocked to find a home for sale in Anderson, SC loaded with natural gas. Turns out the oven in the home was manipulated to cause a major gas leak. On top of the electric oven sat a burnt rag that didn't totally take.
The real estate agents called 911, and with that fire investigators arrived on scene to find a… Continue
Added by Firefighter Spot on March 14, 2008 at 8:20pm —
Allright, this being my first blog, I'll try to stay on task. I started strength training about three weeks ago for a Firefighters Challenge coming up at Cody Fire School in May. It will resemble a CPAT test and a few of the same challenges at the National Challenge (not as long of a course). I am turning 40 in June but dont feel it. I am in pretty good shape (so I thought) and am just trying to finish as close to the top 10 as I can. Chances are good because they appear to only have 8 or 9… Continue
Added by Doug Fisher on March 13, 2008 at 7:30pm —
"It seemed like a routine house fire in the early evening .... the fire began in the first floor living room and burned slowly at first but with enough intensity to burn through the ceiling into the second floor. When we arrived on scene there was heavy dark smoke issuing from the chimney and all windows in the front were heavily darkened from smoke. There were just five of us on one engine.
We managed to get in quick and pull an unconscious woman out from the first floor before… Continue
Added by EuroFirefighter on March 8, 2008 at 7:24pm —
I'll begin by stating quite clearly that here in Oz, it has been a national law since the early 70's for every person (Including emergency responders) to wear a seat belt, so I'm at a loss to understand the mentality of some.....
Having said that, here's my random rant for the day!
What are we coming to?
Today a little switch in the back of mind flicked into the on position, or was that the p**sed off position?
What have we come to? We need to… Continue
Added by lutan1 on March 8, 2008 at 3:30am —
Updated 7pm ET -- Two firefighters have died and four others were injured after battling a five-alarm fire at a lumber yard in Rowan County, North Carolina.
According to a Rowan Regional Medical Center official, one firefighter died on the way to the hospital, the second died after arrival. Two other firefighters are being treated at Rowan Regional. The extent… Continue
Added by Firefighter Nation WebChief on March 7, 2008 at 1:30pm —
I'm not a morning person. I never have been, I never will be. I like to roam with the creatures of the night.
Fact of the matter is that I do my best thinking,writing, meditating and brainstorming in the very wee hours of the morning. Unfortunately for me (or for my coworkers depending on your perspective) my nocturnal habits don't mesh so well with my work schedule.
In order to arrive at my desk on time ( I use airline schedules when I state that I was "on time"--that… Continue
Added by Mary Ellen Shea on March 6, 2008 at 3:18pm —