We have recently signed on a 17 year old son of one of our members.  I am looking for some words of advice for starting his education in the fire service while protecting his safety and our department from liability.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Views: 449

Replies to This Discussion

on my department we have what we call Ventures and they participate in training but we don't let them go into Fires but they get to bring us tools, roll out a hand line, and a lot of other stuff that will help them to learn the tools and basics of firefighting. the program we are using is sponsored by the Boy scouts of America and there are more rules that you have to follow with them.
Hi, My name is Chelsea. I am a memeber at New Prospect Fire and Rescue (volunteer). We have a group what is called Explorers. It is through Boys Scouts of America... but of course guys and girls can join. Its how I got started.
They are allowed to participate in training with the dept excluding live fire. They hold their own meetings and have their own officers. They must be 14 yrs of age and be a freshman in high school. After they have done a check off on trucks and are given permission, they are then allowed to go on calls with the dept (fire calls only). That is if there is room. I joined when I was 14 and have gone on to become a member I am now 20. Its a great program!!!!!!
Our juniors also have to maintain a passing geade in school.If a junior fails a subject they are out of the program until the next marking period.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service