I volunteered for my fire depertment (all volunteer) because there was a need, there is always a need for trained firefighters, when I joined I had no firefighting background. But I was willing to train on my time and my families time. Our training officer took his personal time to train 5 new volunteers for several months to challenge the firefighter exam. After the exam the proctor stated that he had never seen a better trained group of challengers.

I believe, that it does not matter if your a full time firefighter or a volunteer if you have the drive, movation, and training to be the safest, most professional firefighter, you will be. On my time I read as much about firefighting as possible, I use this network as another tool to further my firefighting knowledge, and hope all firefighters use it as a tool for useful purposes. I am currently working on challenging ffII, and hoping to take an EMT-B course that may be offered. All the training, all the hours put into the department, are not paid, we are paid only for our runs, we receive minimum wage for our efforts, and all of our firefighters donate their pay back to the department.

Our department is a small group of highly dedicated, highly motivated firefighters, who perform a thankless service to our community, without any other reason but to help our fellow man, yes, It would be nice to be a full time firefighter, with pay, but not every community can afford that, so we volunteer, on our time, on our families time.

In closing, be you full time, or volunteer, this has to be a job you love, you must keep an attitude of, what can I do?, what will make me a better firefighter to serve my community?, my brothers, You must lead, or follow, in our line of work you cannot get out of the way, you have to know your job, better than anyone, because the community looks to us in their time of need, not asking if your full time or a volunteer, but because your a firefighter

Views: 125

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a volunteer on a small department in rural Ohio. I've never had any experience with the fire dept prior to 3 years ago. Now I can't imagine not being where I'm at. One quick thought-- I believe that every volunteer in fire/ems needs to be a professional. Not a professional in the sense of being paid (that's nice, but not necessary) but a professional by your actions, your work ethic, the way you present yourself and how you represent your department. I'm very honored to be a volunteer.
im on a volunteer dept. in kansas. and we strive to be better than the other departments around us. we train 2 to 4 times as much as our sister department. and when we are in the community we stive to be professional. i believe that all volunteer departments should be run this way. now im not saying that we dont screw around and bullshit but when the public is around its all bussiness. but in the end it just boils down to love. we love what we do, we love our commuity. and i believe to be great in this vocation you need to have those two loves.
IM COMING FROM A ALL VOL FIRE DEPT IN NC, I AGREE WITH TYLER, AT MY DEPT WE HAVE SOME KIND OF TRAINING OR CLASS JUST ABOUT EVERY NIGHT OF THE WEEK, WHERE OUR NEIGHBORS HAVE IT MAYBE ONCE A WEEK OR EVEN MONTH! WE PRIDE OURSELVES IN OUR ISO RATING WHICH IS A 4/6, 6 IS BECAUSE OF LACK OF HYDRANTS, BUT ANYWAY WE DO ALL WE CAN FOR THE COMMUNITY AND NEIGHBORING AREAS. WE ALL NEED TO KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND KEEP TRING TO RECRUIT AND SHOW THE YOUNGER GENERATION THERE IS A PURPOSE AND A NEED FOR VOLUNTEERS, ITS NOT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service