So how do you determine a suitable anchor point on a vehicle for use during either a rope rescue or confined space rescue situation?

Views: 2583

Replies to This Discussion

I believe it is UCL...... but now you got me wondering I'll let you know....
Pro-man is bright green in colour. They later became UCL Safety Systems- fantastic equipment to use.

The tow mounted system is great for entry work, but as you rightly pointed out, from a rescue perspective, it puts everything in the hot zone which is a consideration that many wouldn't consider, nor in industry (as oppossed to emergency services), is it a consideration.
I can't imagine any run I would have my team back in so close with the vehicle just to use the mounted point.... I'd rather just set up the entire uni-hoist or the tri-pod system.... as well...most of our spaces at the site are NOT vehicle friendly areas..... we generally have to hoof our gear over to the space from the vehicle as opposed to bringing the vehicle right in. In the end I think when they introduced these mounts it was good in theory and training and experience showed us that really they served no real good purpose for our set up.....

the mount holes though I must say, hold a large coffee very well hehehehe
You can drive a vehicle right up to a lot of confined spaces, particularly manholes, storm sewers, and the like. Not every space has an entrance inside a building or atop an above-grade structure.

Unless the space is offgassing high concentrations of flammable, toxic, or corrosive vapors, driving the vehicle up to it is not a consideration. Even if flammability is a problem, approach the hole from upwind and shut the vehicle down as soon as it is positioned, and that takes flammability out of the equation as long as you don't have a flammable with a very low flash point.

Most atmospheric problems in confined spaces cease to be atmospheric problems as soon as those atmospheres are ventilated outside the space. Normal atmospheres dilute the toxins/flammables/corrosives to very dilute levels outside the space.

You can also use a Uni-Hoist from outside the immediate entry area to the space (Cold Zone) and redirect it with a pulley if you have a beam or steel bar joist over the entrance to which you can rig a high directional.
No I agree with you Ben for sure, I was just referring to our site specific spaces and pulling our vehicles up to them.... actually to be honest I'd rather just keep the vehicles back all together regardless.... for alot of reasons..... like I said I think the intent when they first gave us the vans was good but in the end we realized it just was not practical for most of our scenarios and possabilities.... now thats with regards to our site only and the industrial team I belong too.... On the Public Dept. I belong to we do not even have a CSR team....
OK just checked and the Uni-Hoist we use is by a company called Life Protection Systems...and we use a North winch..... although UCL sounds really familiar.....hrm.....
I'm agree with the wheel anchor, I'm used a lot of times with excellents results (always removing the keys).
Keep safe
In our training they always use the term "bomb proof" the structural steel of a building would be an example...we also tend to have engineered anchor points built right into some of our regularly used spaces....
here is a picture of one of the rear mounts on our HAZMAT Van our Rescue Van has mounts on both sides of the rear.... like I said we really try to avoid thier useage....but it is an option if needed....

We used to climb under the rig and wrap the frame and now just throw the strap around the tire. Unless you can pull it under the tire, it isn't going any where and it is very quick and easy. We use a larger twin path sling and 7 ton shackle for this purpose so it is really overkill, but if you are using webbing, just make sure there is no glass or gravel, etc.. to get between the webbing and the tire.
In order to be considered "bomb-proof" as an anchor, a motor vehicle, according to my instruction:

-must be at, near, or exceed 5,000lbs. (average pick up truck)
-must have a frame construction
-the emergency brake must be set
-the keys must be removed from the ignition
-the keys must be in the hands of either the IC, the safety officer, or the head rigger
-it should only be used when no other "permanent" or "immovable" bomb-proof options exist

Any additions or changes to that guys?
Any rescue body anchor point on our apparatii are going to be the best bet. Even light duty rescue's with equipment are close to 10K lbs. to begin with, and that's on the lighter side.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service