I am not a smoker - never have been - so I'm not going to put a beat-down upon those who do. However, what I'd like to say is this - if you do know someone who is a smoker, please encourage them (in a positive and constructive way) to cut back, or better yet, quit. Be there for them and support them in any way you can. Let them know you are concerned and willing to be their crutch if necessary. They are FAMILY and we want to keep them around for as long as we can.

I'd like to hear of any success stories where you or someone you know beat the habit. My hope is this discussion will encourage or help others in a way they never thought of before.

Views: 4640

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spanner, good job! Glad you made the wise decision.

Sadly, even if you are not a smoker, it could be tough. Workers comp seems to have answers for everything.
I have never ever smoked. I was diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma, after I started firefighting. After I lost my lungs, also believed by the medical professionals to be related to firefighting, I did as I was advised, and filed a claim. WCB told me that, while non hodgkins lymphoma is on the list of cancers for the presumtive legislation in Manitoba for ALL firefighters, not just career, they said I needed to have 20 years in service. I had 17 years when I had to stop. I have not heard the final ruling yet, but I am not expecting them to rule in my favor.
I know this has really nothing to do with the intention of Paul's post here, and I am sorry for putting this in. Just commenting on Spanner's point about compensation.
stay safe people.
A chance to brag about my life saver. I had smoked for 26 years and played the quit-start, quit-start game. One morning my 3y/o crawled up in my lap looked me straight in the eyes and asked," Daddy when are you going to stop smoking?" That was ten years ago as of July 4th. If not for yourself think of quiting for your family's sake.
I smoked, chewed for about five years and when my son was born in 1992, I quit cold turkey. Haven't done it since.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service