Below are a series of photos courtesy "FirehouseGuy" from theWatchDesk.com from a daytime house fire last week in Maryland.

These photos are circulating around the Web on sites such as Firefighter Close Calls on the aspect of firefighter safety ... with the site noting "No one hurt but good pictures from the scene drawing "THINK" attention to PPE, SCBA and roof operations. While we love roof operations when needed, we are don't love un-needed exposure to the smoke -- today's smoke is some nasty crap.....we need to THINK. 1000 active Firefighters die each year to cancer."

What are your thoughts and your department's SOPs for firefighters operating on the roof of structure firefighters?

Views: 2141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with all except the mask. Having the mask on will only cause it to fog, increasing your odds to become injured or to leave the truck and get hit by a car. Don't don your mask until your ready to walk in. Using the purge valve to clear your mask is a waste of your air.
The firefighter should have not been on the roof with out scba in the first place.The chief should have taken him off the roof.
WOW its not a good thing not being packed up smoke is bad no matter whos in charge or why hes there he shouldnt be there and the type of dept dosent matter either no pack no go thats a rule here what i found out from this is my girl asked me why he dosent have a pack on now thats preety bad when a hairdresser knows to put one on due to smoke lol
Complacency... roof ladder could also keep you from falling through a hole (although not always). A parked rig??? Apples and oranges. more like a rig returning from a call as opposed to a rig responding to a call.
Why is safety an issue? Or better yet, why isn't it a bigger issue??
This isn't a career vs. volunteer thread.
It is a RISK vs. BENEFIT thread.
The risk is obvious.
And I don't see a benefit to roof operations on a structure that has been under heavy fire load and has self vented.
There are plenty of videos to go around that shows several roof operations without the use of SCBAs.
You're right; it isn't just a volunteer OR a career thing.
Everyone should check their egos at the door.
TCSS.
Art
I think lutan's point was, why would she be in there and out of air. I was working interior as a rookie with my crew, I don't see an issue with that if basic training is complete. Not knowing how to manage your air and not knowing when it's time to get out before you're out of air, is a big problem and a result of poor training. Know when to get out before you run out of air... unless you're trapped, you should never run out of air.

At least I think that's what he meant... that's what I was thinking too! :)
Where is the on scene Safety Officer? I have seen to many firefighters in this situation and when you try to say anything they get defensive. Nobody wants to attend their funeral but many of these firefighters don't stop and think before acting. I have seen to many Chief's at the scenes without a full PPE. But when you approach them about it they get pissy. So let's try to use the brain that GOD gave us to end this stupidy.
With regards to a roof ladder; its placement isn't just for steep roofs. It also provides a work platform that equally distributes weight and should the roof collapse could be your way out.
Of course, there is no way in hell I would have been on THAT roof in the first place.
Apparently, the roof guy went up there to get a better look at the neighborhood.
You know; to do a 36o.
TCSS.
Art
With regards to a roof ladder; its placement isn't just for steep roofs. It also provides a work platform that equally distributes weight and should the roof collapse could be your way out.

I made the same reference earlier and was shunned. I will look to see if you catch the same sentiment.

Ever walked on a roof covered with a variety of plant material? (algae, moss, lichen, etc) Ever done it when it was damp? It's slippery. You can have a shallow pitched roof and still slide off the roof.
Training Training Training!!! So many things go through my mind on this. I'm pretty new to this, only 3 years, but SCBA and all PPE should be worn. We don't have to tell a chef to use a pan to cook in....IC or a senior FF should've been looking out for this guy. I always check my partners and they check me before we leave the area of the apparatus. Be safe and keep Training!
Well some of us like to still hold on to the old school way of fighting fires. Me myself it took a basement fire about 8 months ago to realize that I cannot and will no more try and John Wayne it. All you do is beat yourself up for self pride and to have younger firefighters who should be learning the ropes correctly saying "wow look at him with no mask". Spitting soot in the shower the next day should be something of the past and for those who ever got a blood gas drawn, well lets just say it is not just a little pinch. methyl ethyl bad shit is for no one to breathe when at a fire scene. On the last note, Just think if the firefighter pictured went through the roof. Think he would get burnt all about the face. I would say it would not be a nice sight. Just remember the equipment you get is all for free and as the old saying goes "if it's free it's for me" USE IT !!!!!!
I think u should when ever on the roof not only if in the smoke what happens when u take that wrong step and go though and now in the house!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service