Below are a series of photos courtesy "FirehouseGuy" from theWatchDesk.com from a daytime house fire last week in Maryland.

These photos are circulating around the Web on sites such as Firefighter Close Calls on the aspect of firefighter safety ... with the site noting "No one hurt but good pictures from the scene drawing "THINK" attention to PPE, SCBA and roof operations. While we love roof operations when needed, we are don't love un-needed exposure to the smoke -- today's smoke is some nasty crap.....we need to THINK. 1000 active Firefighters die each year to cancer."

What are your thoughts and your department's SOPs for firefighters operating on the roof of structure firefighters?

Views: 2141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No SCBA ,just think of the crap he is breathing in /no partner / no roof ladder for safty . Todays world has so many un-natural products that turn toxic . free lancing on a fire sceen can be also very deadly
Where the hell is his SCBA when he cuts the vent all the tox. gases will be in his face. Poor judement on his part and where is his I.C. he should of stopped him.
WOW, some of you need to simmer down a bit. yes the SCBA in inexcusable, but lets not question the rest of the operation so harsh here. Look at the section directly underneath this guy, not in bad shape, most of the damage is to the left, also, I work in a paid city department with a 3 man truck co. and this is normal operations, less the SCBA. Very walkable roof, would appear to be convetional construction, and lets not forget the basics of sounding the roof and getting a feel for it. I do not throw a roof ladder on this style roof, you get a better feel by sounds and proceeding carefully before you get into danger, if you are on a roof ladder you run the risk of not feeling the roof due to, yes complacency of being "safe on a roof ladder" and getting into harms way that way. Do you roof ladder a flat roof, ummm, NO! So no difference here.

Also watch the progression, that is fire venting from the hole he just made, not self venting, yes it is self venting around the soffits and gables, but that is unrelated to his mission. And if he is not up there cutting that off from extending to the rest of the house, than who is, by listening to most of you about "structural integrity" are you under that pulling ceilings and cutting it off that way, apparently not, and if not doing either, good luck saving the rest of the house.

Other than the SCBA, and other text book East Coast job.
Thank you for agreeing, Lutan1 . I am a volley and i find Morris's statement offensive for any volunteer firefighter out there, not to mention all the volunteer companies that work entirely too hard to be badtalked like in this comment. Basically, that was a steriotypical comment, just the same as the term "whacker", which i take great offense to. And besides that, what do you think volunteer companies are, besides CIVILLIANS??? Nothing. we are normal everyday people who spend thousands of hours every year helping our fellow man with no pay for us. We take pride in our work, and do not need to be badmouthed like this!
he is crazy im glad thats not my lungs
SCBA !!!! That's secondary to why is on the roof in the first place???? This a structural fire...a fire involving the structural members of the building and the potential for collapse is obvious or at least it should be. And it is evident there is no life safety inssue involved. Let's get "BACK TO THE BASICS here"!
CAN YOU SAY NEEDS TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL . THE OIC NEEDS TO GET HIS ASS PUT ON A 30 DAY TIME OUT FOR LETTING THE SHIT GO ON. IF YOU AER THE OFFICER IN CHANGER THEN STOP IT BE FOR YOU GET SOMEONE KILLED. YOU DONT NEED A SOP YOU NEED TO READ THE BOOK FROM YOUR CLASS WE ALL NEED TO STOP DONG THIS. THE ROOF IS NOT A PLACE TO BE F... OFF ON AND WE KNOW THIS.
I didn't armchair quarterback these pics at all, except to say SCBA is a must, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. Flame is coming through the eaves on the other side of the ladder and smoke is puffing from the eaves below him. There isn't a Chief on my department who would put a firefighter on that roof, perhaps cut a whole from the bucket of an aerial, but never directly on the roof. That house looks to be a little older, perhaps 30 years, light weight construction (although getting worse and worse) has been around for a long time, remember truss failure happens quickly with nominal heat. Sure the job is dangerous, but we don't need to create more dangers for ourselves.
Maybe you had better look to the right of where he attempting to vent. The smoke is already building pressure and is pushing out of vents that normally take in air. The super heated fuel is already below and past him. Complacency! Yes! In lokking at the red stuff...forget that and look at the traveling fuel. This structure is already a total.
if my chief caught me without my scba my but would be in so much trouble .he drills this into our head
every wen night we gear up bunkers and scba's and all and train . we could be just washing the trucks but we are in full gear.just went to fire school and one of the rookies took basic scba long story short she pulled her mask off when she shouldn't have. i talked to her a few days later and she stated if in a fire and she runs out of air she is pulling her mask off.
i talked to her a few days later and she stated if in a fire and she runs out of air she is pulling her mask off.
You've got to quesiton the trianing here- what is she doing in a fire and running out of air in the first place? Then look at the panic reaction she's exhibiting.

Read my blog, "Look At The Instructors Before Blaming The Recruits!" at http://www.firefighternation.com/profiles/blogs/889755:BlogPost:881693 to understand my isuses here....
lutan. i stated she said if and i mean if she was in a fire she would pull her mask off. our training is great ans also we do not send rookies in to strucker fires . my point is she did panic and i did tell our chief about this also she has only been on the dept for 1 month and has showed up to training i think twice

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service