Let me throw this one out there for discussion.  This one is more geared towards the volunteer side.  The pictures are from a bus fire that I was I.C. at and actually moved around as the IC/Ops.  Agree or Disagree.

Here are the basics stats: 1) 2 Engines intially on scene with a total of 5 personnel including myself.  2) While enroute we were told that it wasn't just a "vehicle" but a charter bus fully involved.  3) Called immediately for mutual aid to respond with a tanker and then once on seen called for additional mutual aid for an Engine Co. from the city/career dept which brought me an additional 4 guys.  Intially I didn't know there were only 2 personnel on the other responding engine from our Station 2.

Command post was the front positioned Engine Co. but I did move about throughout the incident but did stay fairly close to the command post for the majority of the time.  Open to all thoughts and questions.  Thought this would be a good one to throw out for discussion.

Views: 655

Replies to This Discussion

I too would have done the same as you did except maybe call in a second tanker and as kevin stated move the engine out of the smoke , you basically have a small structure fire here , and also need traffic control wich in our area would be fire police , then when more personell arrive communicate where command post is and stay there
Yea, first engine should've bee up where I parked the other engine which was just immediately passed where he stopped and out of the smoke. One thing is that when they first pulled up he was out of the smoke and then we had a shift in the wind direction. Second tanker (one of ours) did arrive prior to the mutual aid tanker.

We had a total of 3 engines, 2 tankers, and 1 brush unit/highway safety truck on scene.

That's my thoughts exactly given is that there are times that a mobile IC can be an advantage.
Let me throw this thought out to. The tire that is burning in the top picture blew off of the rear rim just as my guys where stepping out of the engine. Kind of scary when you think about the amount of force it took to do that with the amount of weight pushing down against it.

Have had several discussions this morning with guys that have been on various depts for 20 - 30 years and have never seen something like this happen.
From all accounts; it sounds like you did a great job. As several others point out, wind was obviously a problem along with a lot of other things with which you had to contend. From my perspective with information given and not being on-scene, I say you made a good call.
We had 65 passengers on board when it happened, driver did a great job getting them away from the bus. Traffic was a bear after we opened lanes back up (1 lane each side). Wind was moving at pretty decent clip putting the "real feel" temp down in the upper 20's to low 30's. Had another bus arrive within about 30 - 45 mins to get them in out of the cold.
Thanks Kevin, just wanted to open up a discussion on the IC having to be mobile at times and not stay in a stationary point. It's so important for the IC to be as flexible/adjustable as what NIMS is.
Hey Tom sounds like you had a kicking of a time trying to do all you could. I believe you did the right moves as you saw fit. I have had a few chances to ride out as our 09. That duty is one that will make you take a step back to make the right calls.
Tom,
I'd have to say you made the right call.There are times when it is definitely advantageous to be mobile,as long as you have good communication with everyone involved.Have seen a couple times when the tire has done that.Gets your attention REAL quick!Glad no one got hurt and made it home safe and sound.Successful operation.
Tom, you are courageous to open yourself to this discussion, I'm pleased that you're getting good reviews. Most of the discussion (understandably) is looking at your incident from the tactical and operational view. From the Incident Command perspective the answers are fairly simple. As the IC you have responsibility for all the tasks until you delegate. Because you did not establish the position if Operations Section Chief you also were directly involved in the tactical part of the incident (of course, with this situation, it's all tactical). Use the system, establish groups and divisions, as needed, and manage your span of control. The ICS is a very good guide but, as you did here, we must be willing to adapt as the situation warrants. There are only 3 absolutes in ICS (my opinion) 1) manage your span of control; 2) Use the terms and definitions correctly; and 3) take your folks home safely are the end of the incident. Well done!
I have really enjoyed reading these comments. I am learning quite a bit.
Thanks John! Agree totally, I really do try and practice what we preach about the ICS & NIMS system. It's a very useful and valuable part of our daily undertakings in the fire service. I learned from an early point that constructive criticism is an excellent learning tool so long as you understand how to take it properly.
Good to hear Patti.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service