WISH
Reprinted with Permission

MUNCIE, Ind. (WISH/AP) - Authorities in Delaware County say a plumber died after being overcome by acid fumes in a well pit and three people who tried to rescue him were hospitalized.

The Delaware County coroner says 40-year-old Eric Dalton of Anderson died from the Wednesday accident at a home east of Muncie. Liberty Township Fire Chief Brent Devine says Dalton was working in the 10-foot-deep pit when he passed out because of fumes from muriatic acid, which is used to clean pipes.
A 19-year-old man who was working with Dalton entered the well to help him, as did two township firefighters who went inside wearing street clothes when they arrived.

The plumber's assistant and one of the firefighters were in critical condition Thursday, while the other firefighter was in stable condition.

Views: 581

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wear proper PPE people!!!
It is proper training and the DISCIPLINE that it creates in you that prevents you from doing something as stupid as jumping into a hole that has not been tested for atmospheric hazards.
You can have all of the laws and standards that you want, but in the end, they are easily ignored and often are.
But, once you develop respect for the many hazards that you learn about in training, changing your mind/changing your attitude and then changing the culture that exists in your OWN departments will there be any REAL change.
I believe that FUNDING fire departments is a local issue.
Conversely, I believe that training standards should be established by ONE, national consortium and then, any department that doesn't follow them doesn't exist.
And in my mind, training or a lack of it should be factored when looking at LODD, PSOBs and any other benefit paid.
Why is it that you are disqualified from receiving benefits if there is drugs or alcohol in your system, but stupidity is perfectly acceptable?
It has got to stop.
I can't say any more that has not already been said. I’m not from a volunteer department, so I can only say this from my perspective. What would happen if the volunteers went to the firehouse 1st and brought the proper equipment with them. Then they would not feel pressured to do something unsafe. I’m sure it’s hard to bypass the scene if it’s closer, but if you show up not equipped. What good are you if you do end up a problem than the solution? Just my thought.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service